PDA

View Full Version : VVC Failure

Lord Sward
07-11-2005, 07:23 PM
A few weeks ago whilst driving my better halfs 160, it developed a serious mis-fire. Of course, it was in the middle of no where.
Several weeks of dignostic work later and we've just discovered the VVC camshaft has snapped. Let me say I'm not at all happy.
Luckily, the valve gear has not mashed the pistons.
I phoned Mike Satur on the subject and he has supplied me a replacement at a fraction of the cost and supplied a 'up-grade' to boot.

Heres hoping it all goes back together fine........:soapbox:

GT
07-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh dear, sorry to hear of your bad news :(

I dont get out much these days, but I've not heard of a similar incident before - so even worse luck :o

Come to think of it... are you sure this wasnt a setup just to go and visit Mike? :D

Lord Sward
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
There is only 1 reported case of this occuring that I know of; thats through Mike Satur. When I was a Rover Rep, my local dealer handled many tricky jobs on behalf of The Factory, from Blackpool all the way across the North Sea to Norway and Sweeeden. They (who are repairing my car) have not come across such a case.

A MG Rover technician of the Year, from another dealer (now working for the AA) who I recently spoke to has never come across an incident.

I must say, Mike Satur is provides me with excellent service. I used to joke to him when I ran the 'F, that I was in effect working for him as all my wages seemed to be spent in his emporium. Its even more the case now with the ZR and the lacklustre TF.

By all accounts, I've been exceptionally lucky not to have bent the valves, possibly even wrecking the pistons.

620Turbo
07-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah, you got off lightly.

The K series, when valves meet pistons usually requires a new engine - even if it happens at low RPM - I speak from bitter experience. . . . . . :confused2