PDA

View Full Version : Improving the ride?

Goose
27-11-2005, 09:09 PM
My brother recently bought a facelifted ZT-T CDTi (tractor fuel, apparently...), and isn't very happy with the ride comfort. Having driven it, you really do feel the bumps in the road more, and some that I haven't even noticed in mine!
So... is there any way of improving it? He's thinking about changing to 17" wheels, but I can't imagine that this would make a big difference. Could the suspension be made softer?! It's making his 2 year old car sick! It's an ex-management car, 54 plate.
:car1:

MartinW
27-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Did you mean two year old child? 17" with the larger profile to keep the same rolling radius would take some of the sting out of it, but he would to swap with someone on a ZT120.
Supposedly, the std set-up was much more compliant after they made the original settings a cost option in 2002 following complaints of too hard a ride in the early cars. However, is it worth making sure the tyres aren't over-inflated to start with?

Goose
27-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Did you mean two year old child?

No, his Ewok.

I'll mention the over-inflation (of tyres) possibility to him, thanks :thumbs1:

Tootall
27-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Having owned my 55 plate ZTT CDTi for a week i find my ride spot on :shrug:
One option could be to give Leda a ring.

GT
28-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Didnt the ZT's come with 2 suspenison options? Regular and the optional extra 'sport' which was the original settings mentioned earlier?

Might be that he just has a car with the sports pack fitted? Particuarlly, if its an ex-management car.

Always suprises me though how many thousands of ex-management cars there are - how many managers were there?

Tootall
28-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Always suprises me though how many thousands of ex-management cars there are - how many managers were there?

To :angry1: many TBH like the old sayings 'to many cooks' & 'the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing'.

Lord Sward
28-11-2005, 07:58 PM
One option could be to give Leda a ring.

A shameless plug there.........

dogsquaw
28-11-2005, 08:08 PM
To :angry1: many TBH like the old sayings 'to many cooks' & 'the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing'.

Totally agree. For every non management person there was about 10 managers... ridiculous.

dogsquaw
29-11-2005, 10:24 PM
My brother recently bought a facelifted ZT-T CDTi (tractor fuel, apparently...), and isn't very happy with the ride comfort. Having driven it, you really do feel the bumps in the road more, and some that I haven't even noticed in mine!
So... is there any way of improving it? He's thinking about changing to 17" wheels, but I can't imagine that this would make a big difference. Could the suspension be made softer?! It's making his 2 year old car sick! It's an ex-management car, 54 plate.
:car1:

The original ride suspension was sport.. obviously the harder ride

17" wheel would make it softer as would replacing the seats with Rover seats,, which would make the ride seem softer

But would it still seem like a MG????

Goose
05-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The dealer says they can't tell if the suspension is the 'sport' version or not.

They are offering to replace the springs, shocks, and any other suspension things (I don't know!) with Rover 75 items, at cost price (700 ish :yikes: , no labour charge). He will also keep the originals, to either sell or put back on when the car is sold.

The other option is to swap the car, and lose thousands....

I have offered him the use of a Mini, to find out what uncomfortable means, but this has been declined! :shrug: