PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to all the Rover workers I put on the dole... Here's 20

dogsquaw
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
This made my blood boil..............

Merry Christmas to all the Rover workers I put on the dole... Here's 20! Dec 11 2005

Exclusive By Adam Aspinall - Sunday Mercury

JOHN Towers has finally dipped his hand in his pocket for struggling ex-Rover workers - by donating 20 for a Christmas fund.

It is a far cry from the 50 million that the Phoenix Four directors promised employees after the Longbridge firm collapsed last March.

The Sunday Mercury visited multi-millionaire Mr Towers at his luxury Midland home yesterday morning to ask him to help the desperate workers he had left on the scrapheap.

Leafing through a bundle of notes he parted with one crisp 20 - and said he wished them a Merry Christmas.

That amounts to just 0.3p for each one of the 6,500 former Longbridge employees.

Last night, one Midland MP said: "This 'donation' is typical of John Towers."

Ex-MG Rover workers had hoped for help this Christmas from the Phoenix Four of John Towers, Peter Beale, John Edwards and Nick Stephenson.

Eight months ago the former MG Rover owners had vowed to sell assets, including Studley Castle in Warwickshire, to help set up a 50 million trust fund to help them.

But no cash from the fund has been handed over, as it remains in limbo pending the outcome of a Department of Trade and Industry investigation into the collapse of the car-maker.

Any cash that is eventually released is likely to fill holes in MG Rover pension fund first. The rest is likely to go disgruntled creditors before workers see a penny.

Julie Kirkbride, Conservative MP for Bromsgrove, said she was disgusted at the paltry Towers' donation.

She said: "This is indicative of the kind of person John Towers is.

"I feel very sad for former MG Rover workers this Christmas, especially those with children because it will be a real struggle for them.

"They were promised a lot with the trust fund but it was not fulfilled.

"I think the trust fund was only ever a political gesture designed to stop the MG Rover bosses from being drummed out of the Midlands.

"Meanwhile the workers are just left in limbo."

The new Archbishop of York and former Bishop of Birmingham, Dr John Sentamu, was a member of the trust fund committee, along with leading business figures and local historian Carl Chinn.

Dr Sentamu said: "I hope that money will soon be received by the Longbridge Trust, to support the workers and their families."

Mr Towers, who lives in a 500,000 home in leafy Warwickshire, refused to comment on the trust fund situation when asked to explain the pay-out delays by our reporter.

[But pointing at the collection tin, he said: "Just make sure they (redundant workers) receive that money."]

MaddAussie
12-12-2005, 03:20 PM
OMFG that blokes so full of **** isnt he. It really does seem as if he doesnt give monkeys, anyone up for a good old stoning??

Ralph
12-12-2005, 04:37 PM
When I read the thread title I thought it was 20 each, which is bad enough! 20 for whole lot - he's having a laugh!

Tootall
12-12-2005, 07:42 PM
:angry1: words fail me :yikes: :angry:

dogsquaw
12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
this is on top of the £5k that each member of the Phoenix 4 was going to give all the rover employees. Worked out to £3 and some change each. That hasn't materialised either. What is also annoying is that the papers were quoting that we got £10k in reduncancy each . ********. Nowhere remotely even near that. I didnt even get a grand.
I'm sitting here wondering how I'm gonna pay my gas and electric bill never mind bl00dy Christmas and the knowledge that they are all rolling in clover makes me sick to my stomach

I bet you that that £20 was "borrowed" from his Mrs or something!!

Seamaster
12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Hang on a minute. This is a classic tabloid journalist set-up. The guy was door-stepped, had a charity box stuffed in his face, and coughed-up a twenty. What were they expecting? The deeds to his house? FFS.

MaddAussie
12-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I think its a bout time the ex MGR staff get what they deserve instead of the P4+ running laughing to the bank