PDA

View Full Version : 1999 420GSi

TimH
30-01-2006, 01:58 AM
My sons new Car.

Been looking for a 200 bubble but could not resist. My son has the MGR bug that my father gave to me. Unfortunately MG and being 17 do not go together unless you pay stupid amounts of insurance. The 420 funny enough, not that far off a ZS, was quite cheap. Old mans car I guess.:lol2:

He knows that his Dad is going to use it when it is wet and cold in the mornings. Don't want to get my one dirty.:D

GT
30-01-2006, 11:31 AM
That must be quite a rare car, because I thought the T-series was dropped very quickly in the 400 range when it was replaced in all other models with the VVC?

Most '420' models I see are actually diesels...

Tony
30-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Nice looking motor. A lucky lad to have one at 17 and regardless of what his mates may actually say they know it'll be better than their beaten up Nova's.

620Turbo
30-01-2006, 11:51 AM
That must be quite a rare car, because I thought the T-series was dropped very quickly in the 400 range when it was replaced in all other models with the VVC?

Most '420' models I see are actually diesels...

The T series was produced in 400 until the end of the run in 1999/2000. VVC was never put into 400/45/ZS, at least not for the public to buy.

Great engines, very strong.

TimH
30-01-2006, 11:56 AM
It was an offchance purchase the intention was originally a 200/25. Because it was in good nick etc I went for it.

Busy genning up on the tech details of the car, so if you dudes out there have any knowledge of the type do tell. I'm currently looking on Rovertorque and Keith's UAR site. :cheers:

620Turbo
30-01-2006, 12:48 PM
It was an offchance purchase the intention was originally a 200/25. Because it was in good nick etc I went for it.

Busy genning up on the tech details of the car, so if you dudes out there have any knowledge of the type do tell. I'm currently looking on Rovertorque and Keith's UAR site. :cheers:

What year is it??

TimH
30-01-2006, 12:52 PM
What year is it??

It's a T reg 1999.

620Turbo
30-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Nice.

It will have the latest revision of the T series engine.

This means it will have:

Dizzy less ignition and last MEMS engine management system for T series.

Improved block and head face tolerances with the fitment of the Klinger multi layer steel head gasket. This resolves 99% of the common T series leaking oil from the front right corner of the block to head join. Outside cylinder no 4.

Carbon brake valves and revised valve guides.

Basically, they are hardcore. If serviced properly, will go on for a long, long time.

Watch out for: Not a lot to worry about really, but here are a few checks to save ££££'s.

A/C models (as this is) the manifold on the bulkhead where the AC pipes pass into the cabin (gold block) comes loose. There is an allen bolt in the middle, check this once a year and tighten it. Rover botch up plumbing installation, the engine rocking forward and back stresses the gold manifold and it works loose.

Thermostats are rubbish. Easy change as it is in the top hose. Watch for slow warm up (they are pretty slow anyway) but temp should always sit just below half. If, when descending a hill, or off throttle, the temp guage drops, the stat needs replacement.

Gearboxes are very strong, just check for a leak from the diff oil seals (oil from under driveshafts exiting box) or where the selector passes into the box.

Water pumps are weaker than the non A/C models. Usually start leaking. As usual, any drop in coolant should be investigated immediately. If the engine is overheated, the head can warp and the valve seats become distorted in relation to the guides - no compression and scrap head.

ABS reluctor ring problem - pedal pulses when coming to a stop.

Probably need the camcover oil seals changed.

I had a turbocharged Ti, which went to 125K with minimal maintenance. Head never off it and at that mileage it was still sweet as a nut.

Great cars, for the money a total steal!!!

TimH
30-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Cheers Turbo. I'm going to have a mooch about when we pick it up next Saturday.

Thanks
Tim

620Turbo
30-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Cheers Turbo. I'm going to have a mooch about when we pick it up next Saturday.

Thanks
Tim

No problem,

Check it has good compression on a cold start and does not misfire.

Only negative thing about the T series is around town fuel consumption gives away the engines age. . . . on a run though, it is very good.

It has stonking mid range and low down grunt though and is a wonderfully flexible and driveable engine.

Another watch for is, if the engine has had any work done and the exhaust manifold been removed, it is likely whoever has done it will not have put it back properly as this is an art form :lol:. This can sometimes give a knocking/tapping noise which sounds like a bad internal/tappet from a cold start.

GT
30-01-2006, 01:44 PM
The T series was produced in 400 until the end of the run in 1999/2000. VVC was never put into 400/45/ZS, at least not for the public to buy.

Great engines, very strong.

Ahhh, I was under the impression that the T-series was dropped from all models at the same time, with the R8's getting the VVC engine instead and the 400's being left without a replacement until the arrival of the KV6 in the 45...

Thanks for the update :drink2:

Sumo
30-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Well done top engine in a top car!

MartinW
30-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Top choice! I had a 98 420 SLi from new, although it used a lot of oil so went back to dealer for a new engine at 8k miles, but was fine from then on. Looked after it like a baby until handing it back at 70k miles whereupon it was written off by a sales guy that was too impatient to wait until the lease expired to get his BMW.

I seem to recall doing some mental speeds in it on German autobahns, showing 145mph on the clock at one point IIRC, and my wife swears it was still faster than my current ZT160 V6. The number plate on the 420 I had was S425THL which always made me think that they should have done a 2.5L unit! The 45 then came out with the V6 2.0L with auto box IIRC, or 1.8 K4 engine, and 1.6 in 4dr.

I still think the 400s were good looking cars! Thanks for the info on engine changes, 620T, I am about to help a friend plan his engine swap on a BGT using the unit from a N plate 820.

Magnette Man
31-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Rob you're very right most 420s are diesel, and the 420 is probably the rarest of all 400s, but in my opinion by far the best. I've only driven one before in Nightfire Red with Sandstone Leather, but the GSi is again a rare speck, most are SLi trim. You couldnt ask for a nicer 400!

Hope your son enjoys it. It must be an MG Thing, because I wanted a ZS but opted for a 45 when I was 18, and with your son being 17, it must lower the average age of a 400/45 owner by quite a few years!!!

620Turbo
31-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I am about to help a friend plan his engine swap on a BGT using the unit from a N plate 820.

That will be right on the changeover point.

TimH
31-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Rob you're very right most 420s are diesel, and the 420 is probably the rarest of all 400s, but in my opinion by far the best. I've only driven one before in Nightfire Red with Sandstone Leather, but the GSi is again a rare speck, most are SLi trim. You couldnt ask for a nicer 400!

Hope your son enjoys it. It must be an MG Thing, because I wanted a ZS but opted for a 45 when I was 18, and with your son being 17, it must lower the average age of a 400/45 owner by quite a few years!!!

He's struggling with the virtue of being patient at the moment. Yes Dave he has been brain washed with MG. I'm such a mg bore, also have taken him out in the ZT's while putting them through their paces (but in a responsible father manner). He has been told any monkey business driving wise and the car becomes mine.:hit1: as its registered in my name for a while until the insurance becomes more acceptable cost wise.

Good thing is he is not talking about mod'ing it but on how we are going to get the small dinks taken out of the front bumper and putting the Rover badges back on the sides of the back quarters.:thumbs1:

Hope it is not just flannel to keep his Dad happy.:xyxwave: :ninja: :D

MartinW
31-01-2006, 12:24 PM
400 bits on Ebay go quite reasonably, but based on my friend's 416, the one problem he had a while ago was the broken interior door lever, but cheap enough getting a replacement 2nd hand for about £12. He also did the quick £1 fix on his heater fan switch!

Also, I had, and I think just about everyone else I know, the dropping window, ie loose mounting screws on the motor. Unfortunately my neighbour took his car to local independent to get sorted when it happened and didn't tell me, only found later he had spent £270! However I have his old driver's door unit spare if necessary!

Thanks for info, 620T

Magnette Man
31-01-2006, 08:40 PM
how we are going to get the small dinks taken out of the front bumper and putting the Rover badges back on the sides of the back quarters.:thumbs1:

IF ( ;) )he's serious and he needs it speak to someone give Andy at Automotive Repair Systems. His team do dent removal, paint repair, trim repair, leather, alloy refurbs! Really reasonable and can come to work/house. Great bunch of guys! His number is 07710 171 550.

TimH
31-01-2006, 11:40 PM
:drink2: Dave

TimH
05-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Picked the car up yesterday. Mooching about I notcied the fuel gauge is live. Even when the car is shut down and locked the gauge is showing the petrol level. Is this normal?

MartinW
05-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Quite normal - the reason nobody does it now is that the local low-life can see how much petrol you have in the tank!

GT
06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I thought all Rovers and MG's did this? Mine certainly does!

MartinW
06-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Rob, the 75/ZT doesn't - but you can push the tripmeter and it will then show the tank reading! A chap I worked with in Portsmouth at the Pall factory back in the 90s had a Granada that did this. Pall had its own fuel pump at which we all filled up our company cars. Invariably when Mike filled his Granada for the weekend or a trip away, his fuel tank was emptied that night outside his house in Waterlooville!