PDA

View Full Version : The hardtop is dead...

Seamaster
18-09-2005, 11:23 AM
...long live the hardtop (http://www.csmgf.co.uk/temp/bermuda.pdf)! :eek:

Andrew Gilhooley
18-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Indeed. Mr.S showed me this flyer about 6 weeks ago and it looks very very nice indeed. Haven't seen one in the metal though.

When he's got one in I'll have a drive over and take a look and get some pictures.

Seamaster
18-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Coincidentally, was just posting over in the Moaners' graveyard about this. As it happens, I spoke to Mike Satur during the week, told him the money was buring a hole in pocket for one, but . . . there is a delay in getting them into production. As a result, he isn't even taking deposits at this stage, just expressions of interest and contact details. If I remember correctly (we chatted for ages), getting a supplier for the panoramic glass panels is one of the issues.

It's worth pointing out that Mike isn't making them himself, he is simply doing the sales and marketing (and fitting) on behalf of the OEM manufacturer that was under contract to MG Rover to supply them for the 2006 MY TF.

Nevertheless, I think a lot of people who might have been on the verge of buying MGR or other aftermarket hardtops will be hanging on for one of these. I know I am.

AdrianMG
23-09-2005, 09:28 PM
But, why would anyone want a hardtop?

It will look very nice sat on a metal stand at the back of the garage, but why bother?

90% of the time its dry and warm enough to go topless ~ just don't crack the back window!:crazy:

Seamaster
24-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Hard to crack the back window in our finished-article 2005 TFs! :doh:

Seamaster
15-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I met with Mike Satur last week and asked what the score was with this, as I have been among the first in line to have one. I also asked how much of his reply I could share here . . .

It's basically bad news in the short term. Without going in to too much detail for obvious reasons, the erstwhile manufacturer of the Bermuda top is still no closer to productionizing the thing, and the messages Mike is getting from them are, at best, conflicting. There are rumours that the prototype shown in the pic above is, in fact, just a Photoshop job and it transpires that they're not where Mike was led to believe they were in terms of completing the tooling. The latest unwelcome development is that they're now all of a sudden asking him to come up with substantially more confirmed orders before proceeding any further.

I for one am gutted that I'm almost certainly not going to be able to buy one in time to weather this year's winter . . . or, indeed, at all. :(