PDA

View Full Version : What is this in my engine bay? (ABS Modulator)

GT
11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I've got something in my Vi engine bay that I dont have in my ZR one... I'm probably going to sound like a daft novice here, but I used to think it was related to the a/c, but my Vi has no a/c button!

I dont think its related to the VVC mechanism, because I swear I've also seen it in a ZR105 (mk2).

It cant be ABS, because my ZR has ABS, but doesn't have this module?

I dont have a picture of my engine bay to show it properly, the closest I can find is on the ZR-X engine bay shot as below, circled in green on the right hand side (sorry its not very clear!).

Can anyone set the record straight?

620Turbo
11-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Rob,

That is the ABS modulator. You can see the back end of the motor sticking out of it. Perhaps it was in a different place on the other car, but I doubt it as it has been here on all tomcats, 200's, 25's and ZR's I have seen with ABS.

Are you sure the other car has ABS? Does it do a bulb check when you put the ignition on and are there reluctor rings round the drive shart UJ's?

GT
11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Its a 2004 53 reg ZR+... I thought ABS was standard :confused:

I've not had to test the theory yet, though!

I'll check later as you suggest, thanks for the help!

Oh how silly I feel, if this is the case ( and how stupid do I look :o )

620Turbo
11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Its a 2004 53 reg ZR+... I thought ABS was standard :confused:

I've not had to test the theory yet, though!

I'll check later as you suggest, thanks for the help!

Oh how silly I feel, if this is the case ( and how stupid do I look :o )

When you turn the ignition on, you should get a bulb check.

ZS
11-04-2006, 12:12 PM
When you turn the ignition on, you should get a bulb check.

Should you? I don't remember seeing one on the ZS... which definetly has ABS!

620Turbo
11-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Should you? I don't remember seeing one on the ZS... which definetly has ABS!

Defo, it is an MOT requirement the system checks itself when it initialises IIRC. Therefore the yellow light should come on the dash for a few seconds and then go out once the system has checked:

wheel speed sensor continuity
modulator pump continuity and resistance
battery voltage (system will cut out under 11 vots or so as batt may not have enough juice to spin motor quick enough and compromise safety)
etc.

If you do not get a light, check the handbook but it could be your bulb has gone or was never fitted in the first place, etc.

GT
11-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I have no ABS light in my ZR :(

I've also checked under the bonnet and definately no sign of the ABS modulator.

I should have checked much earlier, but I'd like to think I've learnt a lot over the last 2 years since I bought it and never really gave it a second thought!

I'm fairly sure I was told it had ABS when I was sold the car though... but there ya go live and learn and always check things for yourself!

Its things like this that make me want to keep learning about how my own car fits together so I don't have to rely on people in the future. I think its sufficient to say that support in the long-term for these cars will be left to the DIY'ers and the say-so of garage 'experts' who may not be MG-Rover trained or experianced.

I've not yet managed to skid the ZR or lock its brakes, so thats a plus side for the braking system on the 105!

Thanks once again for the useful input, I owe you more than a few drinks by now :blush:

I will check the Vi for lights tonight!

620Turbo
11-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I have no ABS light in my ZR :(

I've also checked under the bonnet and definately no sign of the ABS modulator.

I should have checked much earlier, but I'd like to think I've learnt a lot over the last 2 years since I bought it and never really gave it a second thought!

I'm fairly sure I was told it had ABS when I was sold the car though... but there ya go live and learn and always check things for yourself!

Its things like this that make me want to keep learning about how my own car fits together so I don't have to rely on people in the future. I think its sufficient to say that support in the long-term for these cars will be left to the DIY'ers and the say-so of garage 'experts' who may not be MG-Rover trained or experianced.

I've not yet managed to skid the ZR or lock its brakes, so thats a plus side for the braking system on the 105!

Thanks once again for the useful input, I owe you more than a few drinks by now :blush:

I will check the Vi for lights tonight!

No problem, the Vi will have it, if it did indeed roll out of LB as a Vi :rotfl:

Keep at it, it is the best thing to understand how the cars work as you never need to rely on the numpties again. Want a job done properly. . . . . . . etc.

It also really helps when you come to look at other cars as you are able to see how intelligent the design is, use of materials, quality of construction, etc.

I would imagine it would be very hard to lock up the ZR in the dry. Give it a go in the wet at 30MPH and it will lock up. (make sure nobody is sitting close behind you, obviously!)

GT
11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I've not yet found a reason to doubt the originality of it being a Vi, the spec all seems to be there from what I've seen of other examples... but don't say things like that because you give me reason to doubt :lol:

It will probably scare you to hear that I'm pulling the Vi's engine apart this weekend! :eek: :lol: :D