PDA

View Full Version : New Fleet Member Arrives!

Sumo
13-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, it's here at last! After being on a search for a Rover 214 for yonks, I got a Rover 216Si from a local garage for more than I wanted to pay, but what the hell, I doubt I'd have picked up another car in this condition with the mileage for the price!
Anyway, yesterday I headed off into the unknown (local bus service) to pick it up and after sitting in traffic for ages, finally picked up the keys and headed home. After dropping my boy Steven off at Kuk Sool Won, Mrs Sumo (Sharon) and I went for a little drive (all 42 miles of it!) just to get used to it! It drives really well, but muggins here still needs to get used to the lower torque levels of a petrol engine as I keep stalling it!
Its a Jan '97 P reg, with all of 40,600 miles on the clock and one careful lady owner with FSH and as the mechanic at the garage said, it's like new underneath. Only niggles so far are the radio only works on the LH channel and for some reason, the interior door latches have the screws missing......nothing that can't be sorted.
Today was spent dodging thunderstorms and fitting the alloys off the Strange Rover as well as a set of late spec 'Black lexus' rear lights I bought off Ebay for £48! Its now lookin' smart!
BTW, typically, there are now shedloads in the papers for sale............AAArrrrgggggghhh!

BeverleyM
13-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Looks in marvelous condition Mike, unless you did that for the camera ;)

You'll have to come down and see us in it, we're not too far away :cheers:

Sumo
13-05-2006, 10:47 PM
If I don't get the axle sorted on the Marina GT, I'll see you at CARS at the Pod!

GT
15-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Copycat :D

Looks good though :thumbs1:

I suspect I'll fit my red/clear rear lights to my Vi, but I'll be keeping the standard 5-spoke alloys for now ;)

MartinW
22-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Looking nice, Sumo! I've been watching leather interiors on Ebay and they don't come cheap for these! Been thinking about tarting the present Mrs W's 214 with some alloys and leather seats! But the hassle I have had of late, I am loathe to reward it! New radiator and a broken wiring loom!

GT
23-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Maybe it has been giving you hassle... but it is a few years old now. Would you have the same loathing if this was happening to the MGB GT in 1990?

MartinW
23-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Offtopic, sorry, Sumo!
The 214 is back in my good books, it passed it's 6th MOT this morning with flying colours (well, almost - advisory of slight play in steering rack both sides which seems odd with only 47k miles) - but th eemissions are fantastic, well below the limits applicable - sure sign the Mobil1 and Optimax are doing their green bit!

Sumo
23-05-2006, 03:15 PM
It's surprising how solid prices are for these little beasts, even with all the threats of HGF and MGR's failure!
Fitted some He-Man dual controls yesterday and scared the neighbours by driving the car along the drive from the passenger seat!:D :nono1: :D