PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any good jobs.

jld
19-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Getting a bit pee'd off at present. Too many 'inititives' being foisted upon us.

Seriously thinking about a change of direction (or at least a change of role in education).

Anyone know of any good opennings that could be suitable.

Ralph
19-09-2005, 06:02 PM
If you're a top rank C programmer, I know of a job...

jld
19-09-2005, 06:24 PM
unfortunately not. Mathematics teacher for the past 12 years, (plus head of year for the past 3 1/2 years). Prior to that 13 in the steel industry as a metallurgist/chemist.

scooby76
19-09-2005, 06:42 PM
aha! the mrs was asking me what you taught...:)

but, on topic, have you thought about john leggott, or north lindsey? or would it be more of the waffle you are thinking of escaping?

jld
19-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Not really looking at FE (salaries are lower than mainstream). Ideally some sort of training position within industry.

Jag V6
19-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Escaped the world of assessments,targets and the rest of the malarky 5years ago.Albeit in manufacturing,but the same applies its all unessesary to any one with common sense approach and a logical mind.

Just when I felt like topping myself due to the pressure those magic words were mentioned Voluntary Redundancy.

This gave me the time and space to regain my sanity and pay the house off.

GNASHER
19-09-2005, 08:17 PM
John, have a look at Health & Safety.Do a NEBOSH gen.cert.or an industry related one.

Jag V6
19-09-2005, 08:45 PM
John, have a look at Health & Safety.Do a NEBOSH gen.cert.or an industry related one.

Defo worth a look,a couple of guys who finished the same time as I did followed that path...now both quite successful...ones freelance,the other works for a large building company.

Jerry Zedman
19-09-2005, 08:55 PM
If you're class 1 or 2 LGV trained Bridgestone are looking for drivers - for global travel. I showed my wife the advert . She said...........NO!

Gav
19-09-2005, 09:00 PM
we need some postpersons should you be up in the North east (sunderland Area)

MartinW
19-09-2005, 09:00 PM
John
Send me a pm for contact number if you want to talk about training in the general industry sector and the headaches. At least with schools, people have to send their children, but with training, unless it's mandatory, companies won't invest necessarily.

Also, have a look at the various online recruitment sites - most training jobs I saw were well enough paid and varied from IT to operations, and a few inbetween that might suit your met/chem/maths background.

AndrewM
19-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Depending on how soon you want to do this, you set yourself up as a Training Consultant and try a get a few small contracts during school holiday time, this way you could dip your toe in without having to put tango coloured bathing short on and jumping right in.

Other options could be bookkeeping, learn Sage accounts and a bookkeeping course, then you could sell yourself to small companies who dont have there own one.

:drink2:

jld
07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Well there seems to be a few maths teaching jobs going at the moment.

Had an interview for a head of maths job on wednesday (didn't get it - no recent experience of teaching A level). Another lined up for next wednesday and a couple more applications in the pipelne.

Pam
07-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Good luck John.

BeverleyM
07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Good luck John, I hope you find the job you are looking for.

jld
07-10-2005, 09:08 PM
thanks folks. funny time in education at present, no-one really seems to know what's happening.

Mat C
08-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Sorry to barge in on Johns thread here , but my work as a decorator is drying up rapidly - so much so that i've had an eviction notice :yikes:

If anyone can reccomend any decorating work within the Lincolnshire area i would be very grateful ( as long as expenses are paid for ! ) . Bare in mind i live alone so i don't accept Mickey Mouse wages as i need to keep a roof over my head and all the bills associated with it !

jld
08-10-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't know if it lead to anything Mat, but Monk's Dyke school in Louth is having a lot of work done at present (was there last Wednesday). They have a lot more work planned for over the next year as well. Didn't see any sign of decorating having started so maybe worthwhile giving the school a ring.

jld
13-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, the quest goes on. Had another interview today (didn't get it :( ). Nice school as well. Still got some very positive feedback from the head there. Apparently the pupils who I taught thought that I should have got it (all 3 candidates had to teach a sample lesson to the same class and the pupils were then asked for their views - my lesson was graded as 'best').
Still, the right job is out there somewhere. There's always the one in Hull that I mentioned on MSN - their head rang me earlier tonight to invite me for an interview :).

Mat C
13-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Best of luck John !

Tony
13-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Go for Hull John, you know you want to ;)

GT
14-10-2005, 10:38 AM
A bit late into this thread... but I found my last job using : http://www.jobsite.co.uk

It might be worth a look, although education isnt it's strongest sector - there are some teaching jobs listed.

You can also upload a CV with some skillwords to allow recruiters to search for you, as well. Or you can ask it to email you to let you know of jobs that meet your search criteria.

Its all free, too!

scooby76
14-10-2005, 04:49 PM
best of luck with the job john! :thumbs2: driving to hull every day's a sh*t though, unless you can get a lift in the plods impreza, that is! :car2: (legally of course) :lol:

got me fingers crossed for you!

Rally Matt
17-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Rather than think about what you can do, think about what you would LIKE to do. Its amazing how when you really want something you can make it happen.

Be adventurous, even if things don't work out just think of the things you will have learned and experinced on the way.

Whats the worst that can happen? Don't worry about things and stuff, its not important it ends up in a skip at some point.

Go for it John, what every you want it to be! (same to anyone else to!)

:thumbs1:

GT
17-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Wise words from Matt! :thumbs1:

Taking a leap of faith is how I got my current job - best choice I made for a long time :)

jld
19-10-2005, 06:23 PM
as from 1st January, I am Head of Mathematics at St Michael's Catholic and Church of England High School in Barnsley.

Went for an interview today and was offered the job, which I accepted. Maybe seems to be a bit of a drive, but I didn't find it that bad, and the kids there are great :D

BeverleyM
19-10-2005, 06:32 PM
:woohoo:

Well done John, thats great news :cheers:

Many congratulations :cheers:

jld
19-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks Beverley, I'm really looking forward to starting there.

scooby76
19-10-2005, 06:55 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/froehlich/d020.gif & well done, now get ready & go get 'em! (in january)

AndrewM
19-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Congratulations John. :drink2:

Tony
19-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Well done John. Hope you enjoy it.

Rally Matt
20-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Congratulations John,

I wonder if there will be a school project starting there invling prepping a Metro race car (purely academic purposes of course!)

:cheers:

Cronus
20-10-2005, 11:47 AM
many congrats...always nice to start a job that you are really looking forward to as opposed to just 'tideing you over'.

MartinW
20-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Well done, John, bet you will enjoy the commute - does this mean Elaine might be relegated to the ZR on the odd occasion?

GT
20-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Congratulations on your new job :drink2:

I know it wont be quite what you were hoping for as James Bond, but Head of Maths is no small acheivement!

dogsquaw
20-10-2005, 06:13 PM
John, thats wonderful news. I'm really happy for you.

Congrats :highfive: :love2:

jld
20-10-2005, 07:06 PM
I wonder if there will be a school project starting there invling prepping a Metro race car (purely academic purposes of course!
funny you should say that. As part of my interview I had to teach a lesson to a year 9 class about the construction and use of real-life graphs (National numeracy framework page 173, if anyone is familiar with it ;)). One of the powerpoint slides I used was a copy of a data log print out from a race car (to show how the plot goes up and down acording to speed and that the 'g-force' plot goes up as the speed goes down). One lad puts his hand up and asks about what would happen if the car crashes. I explained that the speed plot would drop very quickly and that the force plot would show a big peak, then added that this would be followed by some nice people, dressed in orange, appearing and getting the driver out. At this, one girl (who had been very quiet all lesson) says 'yeah, they're marshals, that's what I do'. It seems that she has started to marshal at karting events.

Tootall
20-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Sorry its a bit late but well done John :teacher: , i hope this is a good omen for 2006 :car2: .

Alex B
20-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry its a bit late but well done John :teacher: , i hope this is a good omen for 2006 :car2: .

Share the thoughts here...good luck and congrats for your new job.

:offtopic:

Keith "omen" I like that word....may sound silly I know....can remember where I read it for the first time XPF but can't remember who used it...but it's great to read it again.

Alex :highfive: :thumbs2: :clappy:

jld
20-10-2005, 07:33 PM
had some good vibes about the job the moment that I parked the car in the school car-park - next to a blue ZR and facing a white MGF. :D

GNASHER
20-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Good luck John

Rally Matt
21-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Slightly off the topic but I can see why you are looking forward to your new position John. For the last 2 years I have been doing a presentation to the 6th Form intake at Trent College, in Nottingham, as part of an insight to the business studies courses. Its a great day and it just goes to show how rewarding it can be to work with enthusiastic and creative young people. I get a real buzz from seeing how they can develop concepts and ideas and thats from just one day!

On the other hand when we are at American Adventure for doing rides you did tend to see the dross of humanity and I would not relish the thought of trying to teach that lot, ultimately that would be a bigger challengge but I think it can only be a short term thing before they wear you down!