PDA

View Full Version : 214 - brake light under acceleration

MartinW
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Any ideas why the brake warning light should flicker on and off under hard acceleration in 1/2 and 3rd gear?

TIA

MaddAussie
01-11-2006, 01:06 AM
is it the handbrake light? might be a loose wire on the handbrake light switch

MartinW
01-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Sorry, yes, handbrake warning light! I must admit I have been guilty of not attending to another problem which has gone away over Summer. The brakes lock on and when the good wife reverse out first thing in the morning, the handbrake, or rather shoes in the drums, seem to lock on and release with a thud. I believe this is a case of freeing up the quadrants as they seize up in time.

The car needs a bit of work - the rear windscreen demister no longer works (I did have to rejoin all th ewires earlier this year in the tailgate loom as they fatigued). I also need to sort the fan switch - speed 1 is dead so diode pack needs replacing. And it could do with new bushes on the suspension.

GT
01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure, but I do know I need to replace my 3rd level unit as some of my LED's have gone... I'm down to about 3 on the Vi.

Rally Matt
01-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds like either the handbrake switch connector is earthing under acceration as mark says or if its a dual function light which many are, low fluid and handbrake warning, you could be low on brake fluid or have a faulty sensor connection in the resevoir.

Failing that take the bulb out.

620Turbo
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Likely low fluid level.

Fluid likely leaking from rear drum piston(s).

MartinW
01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks, chaps, I will certianly give that a look over, it's just started recently and I tend to focus on the coolant level on the weekly checks. It's a shopping trolley so only has 51k miles after 8yrs.

I think I might bring forward it's belt changes and do the water pump, too.

Tootall
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
How much meat is left on the front pads Martin, its amazing how much the brake fluid goes down when the pads start to wear out.

MartinW
02-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Toots, interesting you mention that. About a year back the good lady complained about noisy brakes yet when I had the pads out there was still a good amount, as one would expect at a relatively low mileage. However this morning I took a quick look and sure, as suggested above, the fluid level was getting down towards the min mark in the reservoir, so I immediately thought, hmm, no sign of leaks that I have seen, so it must be wear in the pads or shoes. Anyway it needs attention but still, I reckon at 8yrs old and the only major issue a rad change so far, and a new inlet manifold gasket when it was about 3 or 4 yrs old can't be all bad!

620Turbo
03-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Martin, I have seen loads of these do this.

It is 9 times out of 10 one or both of the pistons in the rear drum seeping fluid slightly.

Take the drum off either side and you will find weird brake dust mixed with brake fluid goo around the shoes. Probably find the brake on that side is down on efficiency too.

I usually just clean it all up by using brake cleaner and a stiff brush then keep an eye on it. The leak is usually so small not to worry about replacing the piston(s) or the seal(s).

As Toots said, the fluid can make it go down a fair amount, but my money is on the above ;)

MartinW
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
620, Thanks again for the great input on this, will check it out this morning.

Tootall
18-11-2006, 04:57 PM
It is 9 times out of 10 one or both of the pistons in the rear drum seeping fluid slightly...........As Toots said, the fluid can make it go down a fair amount, but my money is on the above ;)

Come on then Martin which one of us was right then :teacher:

MartinW
18-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry, boys, I have been away for two weeks! I did get the missus to top it up as it wasn't yet down to the min, but as she is told to religiously check coolant she is also now told to religiously check brake fluid. However, it still bears further investigation!

MartinW
19-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Sorry, should have added that since topping it up we are not seeing the light under hard acceleration.

GT
20-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I'll have to remember that one! :D

Glad to hear its sorted, Martin :drink2:

620Turbo
20-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry, should have added that since topping it up we are not seeing the light under hard acceleration.

The leak will likely be slow.

However, if you do not clean out the drum(s), you will find the handbrake will start sticking slightly on pullaway and the braking efficiency in that drum will start to go down the pan with the pad surface getting contaminated by the brake fluid.

It is a 30 minute job to whip off both drums and check the inside. That includes for jacking either side of the car and taking each rear wheel off.

MartinW
20-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks 620, that would explain why in cold and damp weather the rear drums stick when releasing the handbrake and reversing off, although I suspect this is also related to the quadrants sticking, another task!

620Turbo
20-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks 620, that would explain why in cold and damp weather the rear drums stick when releasing the handbrake and reversing off, although I suspect this is also related to the quadrants sticking, another task!

Ha ha. Thats why I said it. I would now say 99% a leaking piston.

You don't need to fix the leak if it is only a minor weep (all the ones I have seen are).

Just need to take the shoes out and clean it all up with brake cleaner. It will then be fine for another few years. :)

Not exactly cutting edge I know, but the old Rovers can be run on a slim budget and most things are DIY ;)

MartinW
20-11-2006, 07:57 PM
You're right about the budget aspect of ownership. Apart from the annual service (of which I have done the last 3), the car required a new radiator this year (and even then that was only precaution on my part - I think it needs a new water pump to be honest as it still loses a small amount of coolant which gets topped up every week). So that was 60 over and above the normal insurance, MOT and tax (1.4 so lower tax bracket).

In the first couple of years it was diagnosed as needing a new vlave rocker cover gasket which was done under warranty (actually out of warranty by 3 months but I played hell up over that). It also had a new inlet manifold gasket as a precaution after 3 yrs because it was weeping. And the only other cost was a new window seal because the o/s/f window motor worked loose and the glass damaged the seal.

Other than that, there were a couple of jobs that cost me nothing, like re-joining the washer tubing and cleaning out the rear wiper motor washer feed, as well as re-making the loom in the tail-gate to body.

Not bad in 8yrs. Did I forget to mention HGF? Sorry, what's that?