PDA

View Full Version : New MINI... an engine question!

GT
29-09-2005, 10:38 AM
As we all know, the new Mini was originally wanted to have the k-series range of engines, instead of that Chrysler lump thats in there now...

And given that it was originally designed by the same people that brought us the Rover 75, which does use the K-series range of engines...

Does that mean the KV6 could have been one of the engines that would have been fitted?

I know the restrictions for fitting the KV6 to the MG ZR are to do with safety crash impact zones, although we've seen it fitted retrospectivley by a number of sources now, to prove it does fit. However, the Mini was designed from scratch to meet such new regulations, so I wondered if that is one of the great 'could have beens' of the MG-Rover era.

Rally Matt
29-09-2005, 04:55 PM
As I understand it from a horse with a mouth an a finger in the Mini pie,

The BMW Mini was never going to take the K series if BMW had anything to do with it. I think one of the major problems is that the K series is too tall for the MINI as designed, the orginal mini concept from Rover was to accomodate a K4. It has a lot to due with the fact the Chysler unit used now (a 1600 Neon) is produced in South America, a long time favourite for Mini production (Brazil) even a recent as 18 months ago BMW was still considering moving production to Brazil to cut costs. They have sliced some costs off with the recent facelift and in a couple of years when Mini is done it will probably still go there. BMW haven't been spending any cash on Cowley plant and it makes you wonder why?

A KV6 would have never been on the cards as sales would have been too low to justify the engineering work and getting it through emmissions etc, same as for the ZR. Plus the addition weight in the wrong places ruins the balance, its particularly difficult to engineer in a small car as there is no room to tweek things. Putting big engines in cars is not always as easy as it seems and particularly when there is little actual gain.

Drive by noise tests, emmisions, crash testing, Co2 emmisions, often favour small capacity hi effeciency units, looks at BMW's answer, supercharge a 1600cc engine. The units still a bit of a dog but they have managed to improve on a howler to make something acceptable of it.

If only BMW had a crystal ball though. Nothing grates more with BMW then having to buy engines in of arch uber rival Merc, something they never thought of until Merc and Chrysler merged!

Perhaps on reflection BMW wish they has put a K series in the Mini and kept Powertrain too!

Mat C
29-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen that MINI with the M3 engine in it that runs in the Brit Car series ? From what i gather, it's front-mid mounted (slightly under the dashboard area) and the front seat is moved back a bit. I bet that combined with the converted rear wheel drive layout makes it a right scud missile with handling to match !

Rally Matt
29-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Scud with a turbo, and an afterburner!

Tootall
29-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Shock horror Tootall posts a pic of a B#W:tongueout

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Sensual_Em/DSCN3493.jpg

This is from the Brit Car meet at Snetterton whith the ZR out in front :happy1:

MartinW
29-09-2005, 07:56 PM
You sure the MG wasn't about to be lapped? :tongueout :thumbs1:

Sensual_em
29-09-2005, 08:43 PM
You sure the MG wasn't about to be lapped? :tongueout :thumbs1:

:rotfl:
Nope Martin, the Ladies were well in front of the little black um B#W M!n!

MartinW
29-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Ladies - well that explains it then, the Blonde Bimbo in the Maxi was probably doing her make-up.
:highfive:

Tootall
29-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Yes Martin this ZR is driven by a pair of lovely ladies :love1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Sensual_Em/DSCN3525.jpg

Kelly and Sarah

byron
01-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Right then i will put the cat amougst the pidgoins bmw is dropping the chrysler lump for a peugeot lump as most people in the trade will know.
The ultimate driving machine with a froggy motor pure class not :lol2:

MartinW
01-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Toyota diesel, Peugeot petrol, German ownership, British built, and no doubt a smattering of Indian/Chinese sub-assemblies...

So when are they launching the special edition MINI Cosmopolitan?

GT
02-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes Martin this ZR is driven by a pair of lovely ladies :love1:

Kelly and Sarah

Shall I pass on my mobile number to you... just in case they ask for it? :lol: :flag1:

Seamaster
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Toyota diesel, Peugeot petrol, German ownership, British built, and no doubt a smattering of Indian/Chinese sub-assemblies...

Nothing so cosmopolitan about who gets all the profits which naturally go straight into the back pocket of the Quandt's lederhosen.