PDA

View Full Version : Michelotti Proto-type Photos

MartinW
16-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, bit of a coup this, as I don't think these photos have ever been published before, but I was fortunate enough to meet a hero, namely one Ralph Clarke, Engineering Manager at Leyland South Africa, earlier this month. He was responsible for the Austin Apache. He gave me some photos to copy that are of the original prototype done by Michelotti for BMC to revise the ADO16 (11/1300) range. It was never used in the UK, but instead the South Africans took it on - which meant we missed out on the delights of the Allegro (what a shame!) :)

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/apache/prototype.htm

Oh, and for those Spanish members, the Apache was offered as the Authi Victoria in the 70s and at the Barcelona show in 73, it was even shown as an MG!

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/apache/authi_victoria.htm

MartinW
22-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Not much interest here, then! Anyway, subsequent to this post, I have a query from the Chief Engineer in Cape Town on this project:

It would be nice if we could make contact with John Hayward or his family if he is deceased. John was the engineer from PRESSED STEEL who did the body engineering on the Apache. I think that he lived in the OXFORD area.

Tony
22-01-2007, 08:58 AM
It was read and digested (at least by me), just couldn't add anything constructive.

GT
22-01-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd second that - sorry Martin, I do enjoy the good read :D

MartinW
22-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound sniffy - I was rather pleased with myself and the scoop on these proto pictures - surprisingly, I posted this also on the ADO16 forums, too, and had zero response.

Any ideas on how I might go about finding Mr Hayward or next of kin?

GT
22-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Some form of electrol registry?

Tony
22-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Martin, you have a PM that may help.

MartinW
31-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I've added a couple more pages tonight, mainly the wooden buck stage of creating the production shell, and the test assembly run welding the panels together.

www.austinapache.co.uk

Tony, thanks for that info you sent, no joy so far but haven't got through to all the numbers yet.

GT
31-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Those are some great pictures of the production process! A skill thats been lost over the years :o

Robots have given the accountants a way to reduce quality!

MartinW
31-01-2007, 02:20 PM
The skill is still there in the design phase but having had to swap doors on both the ZT and GT, I know which method produces a better and more accurate bodyshell!