PDA

View Full Version : Induction kits vs Air Filters

GT
13-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm still umming and arr-ing about improving the induction on my ZR.

Obviously, an open cone filter is out of the question, as I dont wish the engine to suffer form heatsoak. Its only a 1.4 and doesnt need slowing up off the line :lol:

I noticed that PTP are offering ITG induction kits - but they're a lot more expensive than just a filter, I dont know of any alternatives though.

I've also lookup up panel filters, X-Power were offering the 'Green' filters for 45, but it costs about 55 to get them delivered from Green. Its also nigh on impossible to find them for a ZR in places like Halfords!

I've already taken the 'cone' out from inside my air-box, which has added to the induction roar, but looking back I am unsure if it has made a huge difference to my performance...

Jib 21
14-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Rob, an ITG is pointless unless you have (or are going to have) exhuast upgrades to take full advantage of the better airflow ;)
Quite a few tests have shown that simply banging a better panel on there is as good as using an induction kit with Cold Air Feed such as a Taipan or Viper, but you dont get the "sound" with the kits.
All am saying is, dont go spending where u dont need to.

ZS
14-10-2005, 10:58 AM
So for Rob, who has an upgraded exhaust (magnex?), the ITG induction kit would make a difference to performance!

Go fer it rob... more noise, more power and more complaints from your neighbors, what more could you want? :D:D

I really can't spell the last few weeks....

Jib 21
14-10-2005, 11:02 AM
with "just" a magnex box it wouldnt worth an ITG IMO, if there was a manifold and cat upgrade then yes it would be, maybe even just a midpipe would make it worth it. But the airflow would be resricted by the standard system that you could get a taipan for less thatn half the cost of the ITG and still see the same benefits.

For performance mods, my rule is - Start from the back ;)