PDA

View Full Version : British Car Enthusiasts' Rally 2008

Rich Stone
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Any details yet? Would like to get it onto our calendar... :thumbs2:

Rich.

Tony
08-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Yep, date is set for Sunday 7th September. We were hoping to tie up a few more details before launching the full publicity campaign.

GNASHER
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
:cry:Can't do it this year.My owners club show is the same day.:cry:

GT
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Sorry Gnash, its the same 'weekend' as previous years, it always seems to conflict with something :(

Dawn
09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Even Wicksteed had us penciled in for that weekend before anything was confirmed !!!:happy1:

Dawn
14-03-2008, 11:46 AM
It wasn't on the forum calender so i've just added it .

MG Mal
14-03-2008, 10:38 PM
And I've Just invited the 'boys from Practical Classics mag'.

Mal.

Tony
14-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Cheers Mal.

Rich Stone
23-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Can we please book an area again please? We plan to bring a nice selection of F/TFs and possibly Zeds this year... :uj1:

Rich.

Tony
23-03-2008, 01:09 PM
No problem Rich

poppycar
16-04-2008, 10:55 AM
How do I go about getting a pitch for this event. It wil the first time that we have been to it.

Tony
16-04-2008, 12:34 PM
If your coming on your own, just turn up on the day and we'll find you a space. If your bringing a club group along with you or want to be part of the trade/display area, email me with details at tony@brit-cars.com

Impy
19-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm hoping to be there this year as long as I'm not on call. Just fitted a new clutch to the Imp and she's running like a good 'en. Think I've persueded a couple of the Rover Coupe Owners Club to come down too. I can't figure out how to get two cars there, else I'd bring the Midget as well.

bigbeefy
15-07-2008, 01:27 AM
i have a few ldv's coming to this show

some of us are planning to camp over the weekend then do a convoy to the show

so if anyone fancy's camping let me know and i will see the numbers and look for somewhere suitable

Tony
15-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Wicksteed has on site camping. Contact the park directly for details.

bigbeefy
15-07-2008, 12:36 PM
tyvm tony i never knew that m8

Dawn
28-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Hope we get weather like last weekends for this event ..........although it will probably make the queue for the new water chute longer !!!

Tony
28-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes, good weather could either make or break the day.

GT
29-07-2008, 11:19 AM
We've been lucky so far, no bad weather on any year from memory?

Usually it starts off a bit murky and misty first thing int he morning, but the sun eventually burns through giving us quite a bright day!

I think we had one year which was overcast, but not wet?

Tony
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM
The forumla Jedi race car has confirmed attendance again this year, hopefully with "Trolley Dolleys". Methinks they may get more attention than the car.

Also expecting at least three classic ERF trucks which should make an interesting contrast.

GT
08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I cant wait :D

bigbeefy
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
could anyone confirm the cost of entering this event as we have a few ldv vans attending

so do we pay the flyer price or the show price

so far we have 3 ldv's deff coming 2 maybe's one has an amby and is based in scotland one member from holland is doing his best to attend and one transit but the transit has been airbrushed with the batman theme

im working on getting more ldv's to attend

Pam
10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Hiya. There is no charge to attend the event but entry to Wicksteed Park is £6 per car. The Wicksteed website states that minibuses are £10 but doesn't mention vans (I'd assume the latter). This is for any number of occupants of the vehicles though.

HTH. Would be good to see LDV's represented. If we weren't going to be travelling so far to get there I may have persuaded my other half to bring his LDV along as well as the MG.

bigbeefy
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
pam what has he got and is he a member of total-ldv-sherpa.co.uk

if not get him to join i own that site

Tony
14-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Just over three weeks to go folks.

Tony
26-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I have recieved an email with details of Make-A-Wish's special guest for the day.
Jacob is 4 years old and will be attending with his family. He is suffering from Muscular Spinal Atrophy and aparently loves cars. It's likely that Jacob will be in a wheelchair on the day.

Rich Stone
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm sure we'll all gladly do whatever we can to make it a very special day for Jacob.

I'm just arranging a meeting point for our guys to gather before heading up to the event. What sort of time is best for us to arrive and set up?

Rich

Tony
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
between 9.00 and 9.30 should be fine. Main rides at the park open at 10.00. Do you know about the new Log Flume?

MG Mal
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Tony, Due to an excess of 'Baby Stuff' I wont be in any of my "brit-cars" this year. (Have to use the Octavia! :banghead: )

Any chance I could have a small spot for a gazeebo, so that the little un can have a little shade etc?

Mal.

Tony
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm sure we can sort something out on the day.

Pam
02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Tony, Due to an excess of 'Baby Stuff' I wont be in any of my "brit-cars" this year. (Have to use the Octavia! :banghead: )

Any chance I could have a small spot for a gazeebo, so that the little un can have a little shade etc?

Mal.

Mal, if you can sort out the sunshine, I'm sure space can be found for some shade!! ;)

MG Mal
02-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Mal, if you can sort out the sunshine, I'm sure space can be found for some shade!!

I put in a repeat request for good weather a while ago. ;)

Mal.

Tony
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Despite the rather wet weather, we will be going ahead tomorrow. How much we can do and what the turn out will be remains to be seen. Fingers crossed the rain will ease up a bit (mostly drizzle today) and we'll be OK.

GNASHER
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Best of luck to everyone,can't make it but I hope you all have a great day.

Rich Stone
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Many of our group have gone off on the Welsh Weekender this weekend but we still have a small group still wanting to attend. We have a meeting place for tomorrow morning and this will determine whether we'll have enough to still host a club stand. I'm just preying the weather doesn't scare everyone away, after the downpour we're experiencing this evening...

Rich

Tony
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't forget to bring your raffle tickets Rich.

montego_turbo
06-09-2008, 11:51 PM
ive just done a check on the weather and it says.
sunday day in kettering
cloudy with occasional light rain.
high 61f.wind wnw at 10 to 20mph
chance of rain 60%

so me and 6 kids are going and hope to met some of you all there with my blacked out monty silver tank :blush::happy1::uj2:

Tony
07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
I'll be leaving to begin setting up shortly.

MG Mal
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Sorry Tony. :banghead:

Had a bad night whith little Royce.

Had very little sleep, so it would'nt be safe for me to drive down.

Hope all go's well and that lots of cash is raised.

if you can pm me some details I will gladly donate what I would have spent in fuel to the pot.

Mal.

mgbv8
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Tony and the team.
Thankyou for a great day out. You guys do really put your heart and soul into organising this day. Was it really 4 years ago when I helped out on the first event ?? I know my MGB is not really in the "Classic" bracket. But I enjoy what I do with it so much. Despite the weather, I think the turnout was pretty good. I was in awe of those Lotus Carltons. A car I've always fancied. The turnout of Jags as good. And that Aston was superb. But one of my faves of the day was the Black Lotus with the Gold pinstriping which was fantastic. I got chatting to a guy with a mint MGB V8. I stared at it for ages as it was the same colour that my own Factory V8 used to be. I day dreamed for a while as my car could have looked like his if I had kept on with mine on the concourse route instead of getting back to my drag racing roots. But hey, you dont see many MGB's seeing off most modern and Yank muscle on the strip these days. So I'll keep flying the MG flag at the UK Drag strips until I can no longer drive. I met Jacob and chatted for a minute or so. I had to hold back a lump in my throat though. What a nice lad. What a brave lad. What fantastic parents. Meeting Jacob and his parents for just 60 seconds humbled me. It made me realise just how lucky I am to simply have my health.
I also met a mate from the V8 Owners club who I have only ever spoken to on the forum. He was the guy with the LPG burning Rover V8 Ambulence.
We chatted for quite a while. Then he asked me if I was a member of any V8 clubs. When I told Him I was a mate of Tony Palmer who runs V8.org he told me he was Bodger. When I told him I was MGBV8 we both laughed as we have spoken often on the forum but had never met.
The monogram ZS was really lovely too. As most of you could see, I had not had much chance to actually clean my car. It was as it came off the drag strip last weekend. I did manage to clean my wheels this morning after I arrived though.
I'm halfway through watching one of the DVD's I won in the auction today. I'm in the garage now (yes I have an internet pc in the garage) lapping in some Rover V8 valves for a new engine I'm building as a donor for a Costello MGB V8 conversion.
Today was also a welcome diversion for me to actually spend some time with the wife. I'd almost forgotten what she looked like. We had a good stroll around the grounds and took in some of the attractions. We wandered up to the open air stage to grab a coffee and saw the free dance and song show which was ok. I enloyed my coffee, but Gill was being plagued by wasps. And she got stung twice so we had to depart just before the show finished. I reckon the Wasps like womens perfume.
Sorry to have rambled on so much. But I enjoyed today and so did my family.
My cheeky Son even tried to outbid me on the auction!!!
A BIG "Well done" to you guys and to all that turned up. If it takes a 100 people to turn up and raise only 50p for a worthy cause its worth it in my book.
Maybe next year, we could raise some more money by charging say £5.00 for folk to have a gentle drive of our cars around a marked course with us sitting in as co drivers??
I'd pay a fiver to have a go in a good few of the cars on site today.
just a thought for next year..

Regards
Perry (Battle scarred Black MGB V8)

Tracy
07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Just home after spending ages stuck in traffic as they closed one lane on the motorway to protect the invisible workforce that were there (not!) :banghead: Other than that, and a few miles of torrential rain, not a bad drive home and the MGB managed it with no problems too :D

Great day despite the weather on the way up doing it's best to put people off. It was even sunny enough for us to not need the full body drier that you can use after going on the log flume!

Some lovely cars there - didn't get chance to have a good look as the kids were more interested in getting onto the rides.

:uj2:

Dawn
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Perry you seem to have summed the day up well !!!

It was great to see Jacob having fun especially when he had a lap of honour in the Beauford (cat c retro winner ). I was suprised by the amount of cars that actually did turn up as i thought the weather this morning may have put people off .........but no" We are British and we are used to the weather !" is what quite a few folks said !
It topped it off this afternoon when the sun came out and my face feels like i've been sunburnt .
The auction went well even though there were only a few items but who would of though there would be a bidding war for a panda? :lol3:

And lastly just a huge thank you to everyone who has helped to make today a success no matter how small their contibution it is much appreciated :cheer::grouphug:

Tony is totting up monies as i speak he won't rest until all the books balance !!!!

200bubs
07-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Firstly i would like to say that Jacob is the best kid in the whole world for picking my ZS to win, cheers mate :thumbs1: :thumbs1:

next i want to say sorry for having to wait for me to bring my car down, as the ride that i was on didnt want to finish lol, but honestly i didnt think i was going win as this is the first time i have ever entered such a competition and was very shocked and really chuffed, seriously really chuffed.

this was my first time to this meet and it wont be my last, me and the family really enjoyed the day out and the venue was excellent too, the kids really enjoyed it, also i would like to thank everyone who organised the event and made us feel welcome and even though the weather put some people off it still got a good turn out in my eyes, but from what i was told it was little compared to previous meets so cant wait untill next year :thumbs1:

thank you

steve

Tony
07-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, what can I say... apart from a huge thankyou to all who came and an even bigger thankyou to all who helped.

Good to catch up with Perry again (yes it was 4 years ago). Think you have the wrong name for the V8.org person though ;)

Jacob is a great lad, and was very enthusiastic, seeing the smile on his face as they set off on the lap of honour made the whole day worthwhile... and to think we were on the verge of cancelling.

The sun finally put in an appearance just in time for the P.O.O. presentations. A little later than I would have liked, but at least it got there in the end.

Having trouble balancing the books at the moment but as the cash amount is slightly higher than what I think we should have, I'll probably say stuff it and just pass the lot onto Make-A-Wish.
I'll hopefully have a total raised on by both our activities and the Make-A-Wish stand in the next few days.

The show from the Jag XK's was truely stunning, very closely followed by the Lotus camp, although I'm sure there are a few who would put that the other way round, and our first Aston Martin at a brit-cars rally was a very nice surprise. An awsome car and I'd never get fed up with listening to that engine purr. The Lotus Carlton guys had a good turn out too. Nice to see the regulars from South-Mids-Sporters and Northants MGOC too. All this glamourous metal contrasted by the LDV group certainly made for an interesting mix.

Finally a special mention to Dan and the team from GW Racing, who brought along the lorry load of race cars and the lovely Sam who helped with the P.O.O. presentations. I know it was a long journey for them all, and we very much appreciate them taking the time to support both ourselves and Make-A-Wish.

Tony
07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Gallery section now created here http://gallery.brit-cars.com/showgallery.php/cat/745

Pam
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Just a quick note to say thanks for a fantastic day. We got back home about half an hour ago after a pretty good run back up the M6.

Was nice to meet up with everyone and see some gorgeous vehicles. :ukwave:

montego_turbo
08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
it was the first time i've been and it was great day out for me and all 6 kids as they loved it,i will be coming again next year.
a thanks to every one who made me welcome :love2: as i had the only oddly rusty shed there :lol2:and the only est:lol::dancing:
i have post my pics of the day:uj1:

Admin
08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I would like to extend my thanks to Tony and his team for the months of hard effort put in to making the day possible. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes as well as on the day and the whole event would not be possible without them.

Tony and Dawn have both put in a considerable number of hours for everything from communicating with Wicksteed Park, to organising the lotteries commission license for the raffle, creating, printing and cutting raffle tickets, supplying tentage, the list is endless!

And also a big thanks to the rest of the Brit-Cars team, Pam, Neil, Jerry, Martin, Danielle, Tracey (and anyone else I've forgotten!) for all their work collecting autographs, auction items, raffle prizes, organising club attendance and show displays for the day.

In addition a huge thanks to GW Racing for their impressive motorsport display!

At the risk of turning this into an award ceremony speech, I would also like to thank the South Mids Sportsers (I hope it rained in Wales!), Northants MGOC, Jaguar XK Enthusiasts, MG drag racing club, X-PowerForums, the Lotus Carlton enthusiasts (I was very impressed to see so many!), Club Lotus and our LDV friends!

Further thanks as well goes to the Make-A-Wish Foundation (UK), for their continued support and a special thanks to Jacob and his family for attending and making the day worthwhile for everyone who turned up.

Lastly, the only thanks left to give it for everyone else who turned up on the day. You all helped to contribute to a good cause, helped boost the morale and showed great spirit in the potential adversity of bad weather. We had a great showing from people who turned up from the late arriving 1920s BSA, to the Triumphs and even the amazing Beauford that not only won its category, but also helped put a big grin on Jacobs face during his little 'tour' of the grounds.

Although this was not one of the highest attendance years I think 2008 has been one worthy of note to show the dedication of the people, the passion of the drivers and has had one of the best impacts on a per-head basis.

Officially I think we managed 71 cars this year and around 150 people of all ages.

Jolly well done!

elise251
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
As people have already said, despite the weather, a great day was had by all, even though Martin and Dawn wouldn't let me and Tony go on any of the rides at the end of the day.

Many thanks to everyone who turned up and showed true british spirit, and also many thanks to all those who turned dog sitters for sections of the day, at one point I did wonder if I would be bringing him home with me, esp at Tony and Dawn's, he would of stayed on the sofa all night!

All ready looking foward to next years event!

Jerry Zedman
08-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I can only echo what people have said already. Therefore, my post will be very short! Well done to you all for attending to help out and to show off your brilliant cars and vans. Well done Tony, a huge success considering the weather we have been having.

bigbeefy
08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
on behalf of the ldv crew we had a great day and many thanks for the invite we aim to bring more vans next year and my show van sill be on the road by then

Tony
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Good to have you guys along. It added a bit more variety to the day.

I can now confirm that the total raised was almost £800.

if you can pm me some details I will gladly donate what I would have spent in fuel to the pot.
Thats very generous of you. I'll be posting our cheque to Make-A-Wish very soon, so it may be easier if you donate directly to them. Details are on this link http://www.make-a-wish.org.uk/getinvolved/donations/oneoffdonations/
or if you'd prefer you can call Natalie on 01733 894495, explain the situation and I'm sure she'd be happy to help relieve you of some cash.

Tracy
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Not bad at all :D

Well done everybody!

mgbv8
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Sorry Tony..
I meant Tony "Cooper" of V8 Forum.

Maybe I'll be able to arrange for more Hotrods to be there next year if you dont mind a Drag Racing contingent??

Regards to all again for a lovely day out.
Perry

Tony
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
The more the merrier.

GT
10-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Great show guys and gals!

It was great to be able to put some faces to names as well, I consider myself fortunate to have has some great chats with all of you, with some of the vehicles of the day (for me) being the V8 Ambluance, Perrys drag car, the Beauford, the no expense spared, yet subtley modified work in progress black Jaguar XK (pics to follow later) and of course that lone white Rover 200 Vi that got 2 votes (for the POO prize!) :lol:

Well done to 200Bubs as well for his winning best in show ;) (I'm not bitter, honest!)

Oh and my apologies to everyone for screwing up the parking arrangements :blush:

Tony
10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh and my apologies to everyone for screwing up the parking arrangements :blush:
Shhh.... I don't think anyone noticed.

elise251
10-09-2008, 11:50 AM

You can add Martin in on that one! lol

Besides, I think we were so shocked that we had such a good turnout in spite of the weather, we didn't care where people parked, just happy to have them all there!

Impy
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Damn, I missed it :confused2

Though I guess to be fair, I didn't have a car on the road... and still don't. MG is MOT'd but not taxed and I was fitting the windows to the Imp last weekend but the starter is dead and the dizzy is in the MG.

Glad it was a good day though, perhaps next year.

GT
16-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Impy, if you're serious about being along next year, I would be very interested in knowing if you would be willing to join the team and help organise the show from an Imp / Rootes perspective?

Tony
19-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Another way to help Make-A-Wish...

Hi all,

Just to let you know, Kit Kat has put 5 individually customised and signed Girls Aloud T-shirts onto eBay to auction off in aid of Make-A-Wish. If any of you are interested then you can check out the link below:

http://music.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_fromZR46?_nkw=t-shirt+designed+and+signed&_sacat=2329&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313#item250296886627

(I like Nadine’s best) Please do what you can to make people aware of this auction bid as I can imagine there are a lot of fans out there somewhere! The bidding only lasts a week so people need to get cracking if they want one.

Not only this but Kit Kat Senses are also offering consumers the opportunity to text barcode numbers found on packs of Senses or visit the website (www.kitkat-senses.co.uk (http://www.kitkat-senses.co.uk/)) to win one of these T-shirts. 165 t-shirts will be available every day to be won.

For every person who applies by text or online, Kit Kat Senses will donate £1 to Make-A-Wish Foundation UK, to a maximum of £50,000 - we need 50,000 people to apply to receive £50,000!

The campaign should receive a lot of publicity which will benefit Make-A-Wish immensely so what are you waiting for, go buy yourself a Kit Kat Senses and click on this link www.kitkat-senses.co.uk (http://www.kitkat-senses.co.uk/) to support Make-A-Wish (you can always give the T-shirt to someone for Christmas J )

Thanks for your support!
Natalie Martin-Loat
Regional Manager

Tony
23-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I've finally got the write up for the day onto the main site http://www.brit-cars.com/about_us/british_car_rally_2008

GT
23-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Nice one Tony, well done :thumbs1:

Pam
23-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Excellent as usual Tony. Sorry it took so long to post the pics up for you. :o

200bubs
23-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I've finally got the write up for the day onto the main site http://www.brit-cars.com/about_us/british_car_rally_2008

really good wite up :thumbs1:

Jerry Zedman
23-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Apart from a couple of minor gramatical errors, a brilliant report that sums up the day nicely. Well done again for organising the event yet again. It will be a shame that you're taking a break in 2009 due to other events/commitments but we shall try to make it work without your involvement. Hopefully we can keep it going long enough for you to resume the 'head honcho' roll in 2010!!!!!

Tony
24-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Apart from a couple of minor gramatical errors
MS Word spelling/grammar checker didn't find any. Care to point them out and they can be corrected.

Jerry Zedman
24-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll pm you tonight, mate.

Rich Stone
29-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I know it's a bit early but will the 2009 event be on the first weekend in September again? Just working on the Southmids Sportsters 2009 events calendar and, of course, we want to be supporting it!

Rich

Tony
29-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Hopefully the first or second weekend, depending on dates for other things (BTCC etc.). A new event coordinator will have to be found first, as other commitments mean I won't be able to do next years event.

mgbv8
27-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I'll be up for another visit in 2009 chaps.
As long as I know when it is??

montego_turbo
28-12-2008, 04:41 PM
i'll be going aswell next year but dont know which i'll be going in.
my red mg montego turbo or my met raisen brown montego 2L turbo converson 7 seater countryman if finished by then!

dan blyth
29-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Does anybody know if we've got a co-ordinator yet for this year, and are we confirmed either on the first or second weekend of september? I'll be there with the Jedi......:flag1:

Tony
30-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the forum Dan. A few people have offered to take on parts of the organising, but no one has volunteered to head up the team yet.