PDA

View Full Version : Brit-cars' 10 Sunday 29th August

Tony
31-12-2009, 01:00 PM
The date for the 2010 British Car Enthusiasts Rally has finally been confirmed. Slightly earlier than previous years it will be on Sunday 29th August which is the day before the late August bank holiday.

The venue will again be Wicksteed Park, Kettering, Northamptonshire. The intention is to support Make-A-Wish and the paperwork for this should be completed soon.

Further details will be announced as they become available. Any offers of help or ideas and contacts will be gratefully received.

Tony
31-12-2009, 01:14 PM
A facebook event page has been created here. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=225258768403&ref=nf

Rich Stone
31-12-2009, 04:28 PM
'Work in progress' on the official website, but will be updated regularly once I've finished the initial bit! :thumbs2:

There will also be banners available for anyone wishing to advertise the event on other forums... Watch this space...

Rich

Rich Stone
01-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorted! Something for you to look at... Click here (http://www.brit-cars-rally.org.uk/) or on the banner in my signature...

Rich

Tony
01-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Well done Rich. Guess we need to get the "rally10" email address sorted, a job for Rob when he has a few minutes.

Rich Stone
03-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Could we not just have a 'rally' address? That way we don't have to keep changing it every year! In fact, as I have the generic domain name sorted out, I can set up 'info @ brit-cars-rally.org.uk'. Just let me know who needs to recieve them...

Rich

GT
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I can setup anything you like as well, sorry for the distant viewing, well, it was Christmas :D

Tony
05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I have no problem with 'rally@brit-cars'. Guess it needs to forward to Rich and myself initially.

Rich Stone
05-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I've sorted it already and updated the website. I thought that it made sense to have an email address to match the website address. It forwards to Tony and myself at the moment.

Hope that's ok with everyone.

Rich

mgbv8
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I should be there with the MGB on the trailer. It may or may not be in one piece as by this date we will have had a stab at being the fastest MGB in Europe. And if my thoughts are correct. We could be the fastest MGB in our class in the world.
Basically a stock bodied MGB V8 with a full steel body and full interior, also running stock MGB suspension and axle. Still running a Rover V8 albeit a 4.6 instead of the 3.5 engine.

I'm trying to find out if there are any other Rover V8 powered MGB's out there running the times that I'm doing on the 1/4 mile.

And I'm still running stock MGB 1800 half shafts in the rear axle. Which most folks find hard to believe??

I'll be out in March looking for 10.5 or better on the strip. And by the time we meet at Wicksteed I will have had a stab at a flat 10 or a 9.99 second pass on the 1/4 mile.

Whatever happens the B should be on site with you guys.
I'm already just a few 10ths of a second away from the 1/4 mile time of a Veyron. By the end of this year I would like to have a timing slip to say that my MGB is faster!!

This is the latest 1/4 mile data that I can find for the Bugatti
http://www.dragtimes.com/Bugatti-Veyron-Timeslip-11310.html

We live in hope eh??

Regards
Perry

Chris Lynham
08-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey Perry,

When are you next at Pod as Liv would love to see Mr Beast in action and introduce him to Chloe lol xxx

Tony
08-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Will be good to have you along again Perry. Which reminds me, I must contact the owner of another very fast MG.

mgbv8
08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi Chris!!
Long time no speak!!

I hope you and the family are ok. Do I detect the Lynham family have addition??

I'll be at the Pod with Motors TV for the Fast Show on 21st March. Where I hope to do well for the camera's!!

Rich Stone
31-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Some fantastic news... Wicksteed Park have given us the go-ahead to hold a full scale road run on the day which will be a major boost not only to pull in visitors to the rally but to raise a tidy sum for the charity. The only restriction is 120 cars maximum. Each entrant will receive a route book and a rally plaque. All we need to do now is promote like crazy and find one or two volunteers to assist in the planning and on-the-day organisation...

I shall be using the Easter break to update the promo material, website, etc. and will send out a new email to all the clubs on the mailing list. I will also be giving the details to the major classic car publications.

I'll post here again once we have a fixed entry fee and somewhere to send it to! :thumbs1:

Rich

Tony
31-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Hopefully it'll encourage a few more people to turn up.

MartinW
01-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Will you have different starting points for everyone coming from all over?

Tony
01-04-2010, 07:52 AM
I think the idea is a circular route starting and finishing at Wicksteed rather than convoys into the event.

Rich Stone
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Spot on Tony... Starting and finishing at Wicksteed and driving though some of the best countryside Northamptonshire has to offer. We might even touch an adjacent county or two as well! The run will be around 50-60 miles so everyone isn't away from the rally field for too long. Hopefully by the end of the Easter weekend, I'll have something in place for pre-booking...

Rich

MartinW
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Ok, my mistake, but will try and make it this year again anyway.

Jerry Zedman
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
In your new TF Martin?!!!

MartinW
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I can but hope, Jerry, assuming Mrs W says yes on Tuesday after test drive...

Jerry Zedman
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Off topic:

Great to see you around Martin, always a pleasure.

Rich Stone
02-04-2010, 08:47 PM
The website is now updated and the form to book a place for the road run is on to download, as is this year's brochure.

So who's going to book on the run first?

Rich

Tony
02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice work Rich. Would love to be first to sign up, but suspect I'll be needed on site.

Rich Stone
02-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice work Rich. Would love to be first to sign up, but suspect I'll be needed on site.
I'm sure you'll be fed up with the route once we reach the event day. After all, even after the route has been planned, checked and checked again, we'll have to make sure that roads haven't been closed, blocked, dug up, etc. just before we send everyone out! :rotfl:

Rich

GNASHER
02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I wiil do my best to get to the show but I think that runs on the day of the show are a distraction.I find that if you go on the run you end up missing a lot at the show itself.

Rich Stone
04-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I wiil do my best to get to the show but I think that runs on the day of the show are a distraction.I find that if you go on the run you end up missing a lot at the show itself.
We've already thought of that and so we're restricting the time we're doing the run to the morning and the time it should take the last entrant to start, driving at average speed, so they are back in time for the other activities going on in the afternoon.

The main reason for holding the run is to pull in more visitors as it is fact that these days people are more likely to attend a road run than a field based gathering. Also, based on previous events, there needs to be more happening than just a static display of cars to look at. Unfortunately these days, that alone just doesn't hold a crowd for long! We hope that combining the two will make the day all the more interesting and will also boost our donation for Make-A-Wish, which is after all one of our main goals. The best bit of all though is that everyone has the choice of what they wish to do, so we'll just be happy to see you there!

Rich

KelV6
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM

I agree with Gnasher!
Even back in the days of the MGM Group, where there was often a road run associated with the show, I never went on the run.

GNASHER
06-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I pay for the run just to get the plaque.

Tony
29-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I pay for the run just to get the plaque.
The money would still be going to a good cause if thats what you wanted to do.

AyB
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
This looks good. Not sure if I am eligible with a '98 MGF? Is it restricted to classic cars? The run looks interesting also. Will try to make it if it is not too early a start. (quite a way from me)

MartinW
08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
This looks good. Not sure if I am eligible with a '98 MGF? Is it restricted to classic cars? The run looks interesting also. Will try to make it if it is not too early a start. (quite a way from me)

Any age welcome! I'll be there in my 2010 MG TF, probably. It's for all :uj2: cars irrespective of age.

Tony
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
As Martin says, all are welcome. Start times for the road run will probably be between 9am and 11am but final details are still to be confirmed.

AyB
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
As Martin says, all are welcome. Start times for the road run will probably be between 9am and 11am but final details are still to be confirmed.

That sounds good. Thank you for that. I will keep an eye out for any updates. :thumbs2:

AyB
09-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Here is an update. I have just booked. :thumbs2:

I will be good to met some of you there hopefully. :thumbs2:

Looking forward to it. :car1:

Tony
09-05-2010, 07:27 PM
:music049: Should see you on the day. Hope it's a good day for driving :car2:

Excel620
11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I will try and drag the Lotus over there for the day

mgbv8
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll have to get a note to excuse me from the Road Run I think :car1:
My tyres are not quite up to the road really!

But I'll do my best to annoy folk with my engine while you lot go and play :)

Actually, it could be a good excuse to do some static nitrous engine runs to play with my setup ;)

Tony
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I think you can be excused if it means I can hear some of that tuning being done.

AyB
09-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Actually, it could be a good excuse to do some static nitrous engine runs to play with my setup ;)

Wow!!! I look forward to that!!! :thumbs2:

mgbv8
11-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Just make sure you have fingers in ears. And dont stand next to the sidepipes :)

AyB
11-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Just make sure you have fingers in ears. And dont stand next to the sidepipes :)

Oh, it can't be that bad.:woohoo:can it.:confused: :rotfl:

mgbv8
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
It can be a bit noisy!
Especially in the dyno shed :)
See these vids!

Last dyno setup runs from last year when the tune hit mid 10's on the strip.
Followed by the early testing from this year when she was running way too rich due to me being safe on the fuelling with a new carb and manifold.
Even though she ran well rich, she still hit 400hp with 550 ft/lbs with 100hp less nitrous than last year. So I think I may be in with a shout at a new PB before the end of 2010.. Enjoy

Vid 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gg-N5-gTOM&playnext_from=TL&videos=4fEbmDFJZ2E

Vid 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gchiZa4jgVs

Perry

AyB
13-06-2010, 05:43 PM
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/altbee555/GBBikers/surprise2.jpg

GNASHER
18-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Tony,I want to book for the run but my printer is f***ed, so can't print the form.Has it got to be on the form or will any bit of paper do?

Tony
18-07-2010, 05:19 PM
As long as we have the details, I think anything will do Gnash.

mgbv8
20-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I broke some stuff this weekend so didnt get a shout at a PB. I broke both half shafts and blew a head gasket which melted a chunk out of the block. We got the axle welded and new shafts fitted on Sat night and replaced the head gasket and replaced the melted ally on the block on Sunday morning. And I still got 3 gentle runs in before going home. What a cool weekend. I broke stuff and I got going again :)

I nearly crapped my pants though. As the near side shaft let go, all the drive went to the drivers side and the car lurched left. I thought I was gong to hit the Xmas tree. Luckily the other shaft let go a second later and allowed me to get it straight before I slammed the brakes on.
If you zoom to full screen you can see the rear tye under the car let go first. Quickly followed by the drivers side shaft :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHjyJH34Y7o

Tony
20-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Scary stuff. Good to hear you got going again though. Is a full strip down and inspection on the cards?

mgbv8
20-07-2010, 10:41 PM
No!
I just need to strip the heads off and do some chemical metal repairs and she will be fine I reckon. This is Grass Roots racing mate. I beg and borrow a lot of my secondhand parts :)

GNASHER
23-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Anyone from this end going down?

dan blyth
23-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Havent been on for a long time.

Jedi single seater has gone- I am in the middle of a PROVA lamborghini countach restoration but it wont be ready for the end of Aug.

I will still turn up though, see you there guys

:starwars:

GT
24-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Dan, The Jedi was very cool, sorry to hear it's gone!

Perry, I'm rather glad you didn't hit the 'tree' ;)

mgbv8
24-07-2010, 09:58 PM
He He!!
I did think for a split second that I was gonna be wearing the startline furniture mate :)

mgbv8
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Gone a bit quiet in here innit ??

I've just altered my cam timing and I'm off to the Pod tomorrow for more test runs. I dont expect much as I think I'm going to lose a head gasket tomorrow. Or should I say, I'm going to see how much it takes to lose a head gasket. I blew one out the other week and damaged the block. The repair was ...well... A bit of a lash up. So I'm expecting fireworks on the full power run tomorrow :)

Perry

Tony
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Quiet yes. Only a few weeks to the event now.

Good luck at the 'Pod Perry.

montego_turbo
07-08-2010, 09:34 PM
im going again with the family,my have abit cash with me again to have a bid on the auction(see if there any goodies for me;))
every year i come with a new montego est:car2::D

mgbv8
07-08-2010, 09:51 PM
The Pod was a distaster mate!!

I only made an 11 second pass at best. Traction was **** and I blew a head gasket and trashed the engine block on run 2.

I did rebuild the engine in the pits with a new gasket and some epoxy resin to go on to make 3 more runs. So at least she is still in one piece at the moment. Mind you, we had a 30mph headwind so nobody was going to PB on Friday :)

On run 3 I think we had a good tune in the engine. I ran a low 60 foot time and she left the line very well. But the tyres let go in 2nd gear so I backed out as I nearly crossed the centre line. I tried once more but they let go again. So I shifted to 3rd gear and tried the nitrous again at lower rpm but the rears lit up again? I went to the 1000ft marker at 95mph and tried the full pedal once more. At 95mph the gas came in and lit the rear tyres up good and proper. I was expecting the usual high speed drift, with the rear end moving slowly left to steer me towards the centre line. But this time the back end flicked right and pointed to to the left wall of the track as I was in the left lane. I backed off and gently steered her straight. But I came within a foot of the wall at that speed. I pulled off the exit lane and complained to the marshalls about how bad the track was.

I did 2 more passes in the right lane which were still not good for grip.

So I went home with an 11 second pass and with me and the car intact :)

I still need to get a better pass before the year is out though. 11's are not what I want. I need a sub 10.5 to see my 2010 season out properly.

See you soon mate
Perry

GT
09-08-2010, 10:22 AM
All fun and games at the moment then :D

Is Steve Cleenz coming along? I might see if he's interested in preparing my car for the POO :lol:

Tracy
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Great minds and all that... I was thinking the same thing, lol. I've been hoping he was going to have a couple of jobs to do in Kent as he'd be doing mine at the same time. I bet he'd get loads of work at Wicky.

Tony
09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I wonder how many he can do in a day?

GT
10-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Or Andy if he's coming, could have a wash-off! :lol:

Hidden extra motivation though... I've aquired a scratch down one side that should mostly polish out with the right skills and kit as it's not dented the metalwork or broken the paint!

mgbv8
13-08-2010, 09:46 PM
How much to give my GT a good clean up????

200bubs
15-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Is Steve Cleenz coming along? :lol:

i am so far, but cant really say untill the day before but its marked on the calender :D

GT
17-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Well let me know if you are, the ZT really does need some TLC!

Besides, you owe me one after your ROVER got into the Zed paddock at Silverstone, relegating my ZT to the overflow / CBA to find you a real space car-park! :lol: ;)

200bubs
17-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Well let me know if you are, the ZT really does need some TLC!

Besides, you owe me one after your ROVER got into the Zed paddock at Silverstone, relegating my ZT to the overflow / CBA to find you a real space car-park! :lol: ;)

lol :drink2:

Tony
17-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Not long to go now. Efforts to blag things for fund raising have not gone well so we'll need a good turn out and loads of people to enter the POO. There will be a small raffle on the day but at the moment there won't be an auction.

Jerry Zedman
17-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Tony, can you shed some light on numbers of potential attendees? Any joy with an MG6?

Tony
17-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Attendance will probably depend on the weather. I'd be surprised if there was less than 60-70 cars, which is less that previous years, but with the amount of e-mail drops and flyers that have been done there could easily be many many more.
As always it's just impossible to tell until people start arriving.

MG6. Hopefully Martin can update us there.

GNASHER
18-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I will be there.
Going to a wedding do on the saturday night.So no ale.
Haven't had my road run stuff yet Tony.
Got some great music for you Jerry.

Tony
18-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Gnash, If you've registered for the road run you should have had a note from Rich Stone by now explaining that it's been scaled back due to not enough people wanting to do it. The route books will still be available for collection on the day for those that still fancy it.

ZS
18-08-2010, 08:00 AM
What about the Road Run Plaques? :)

AyB
18-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I will be there but as of yet I have no information other than what is on the rally site.
I registered for the road run some time ago. How about the plaques?

Let's hope the weather is kind to us. :car1:

AyB
18-08-2010, 11:19 AM
If you've registered for the road run you should have had a note from Rich Stone by now explaining that it's been scaled back due to not enough people wanting to do it. The route books will still be available for collection on the day for those that still fancy it.

Does that mean the route is now shorter?

Tony
18-08-2010, 11:54 AM
AyB, I believe I have your cheque and will return it to you on the day if that's OK. Rich is holding a few others.

The route will be the same as was planned before. Low numbers mean the rally plaques aren't viable, but we're hoping to produce a window/bumper sticker as an alternative.

Jerry Zedman
18-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Tony - sounds promising!
Gnash - will be great to see you, music sounds interesting!!!
Martin W - I hope you're paying attention and have one (at least) sorted!!!! :p ;) :drink2:

The Express Valeter
20-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Hope to attend this-this year & if good weather I will bring the MG Montego :cry2:

GT
20-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Ooooh, so I now have a choice of Valeters? :D

Andy, why not the Land Rover?

The Express Valeter
20-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Andy, why not the Land Rover?

Cos I hate driving it lol :puke1: And as far as I'm concerned it's lost it's Britishness unlike the FL1.

AyB
25-08-2010, 05:58 PM
We have family very nearby so we have arranged to meet them here weather permitting! If it should be wet we will call into their house first for bacon rolls! So could be a little late in that case! (Well we do have a long way to travel!)
We have never been to Wicksteed before. Is there only one main gate and where are we likely to find you?
It does seem a little quiet on this thread and I did notice that there is no mention of this event on the Wicksteed website. I hope it is well attended.

200bubs
25-08-2010, 06:07 PM
We have family very nearby so we have arranged to meet them here weather permitting! If it should be wet we will call into their house first for bacon rolls! So could be a little late in that case! (Well we do have a long way to travel!)
We have never been to Wicksteed before. Is there only one main gate and where are we likely to find you?
It does seem a little quiet on this thread and I did notice that there is no mention of this event on the Wicksteed website. I hope it is well attended.

if its the same as the last time i went the event is at the far field, here is a pic i did for another forum so you get the jist of the park

http://www.themgzr.co.uk/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6970&d=1282306884

GT
25-08-2010, 06:47 PM
One main entrance yes, you roll upto a booth run by the park who collects the entrance fee (to the park) and can give you a few directions if needed.

You just follow the track all the way around until you find us :D

There's usually A4 signs on boards along the track with arrows to follow, they're ours, so go straight there!

The staff are friendly and know whats going on for the day, even if they havn't kept the website upto date :D

AyB
25-08-2010, 07:31 PM
:confused:Thanks for that guys :thumbs2:

I must explain about the rain.
Mrs AyB has recently been in hospital after an operation on her foot. This is now rather bandaged up and therefore she is unable to walk far and also must not get it wet. We are hoping for a good dry day otherwise she will be confined to sitting in the car. :confused:

That is where the family and bacon rolls come in!!

GNASHER
25-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I haven't recived my road run pack yet,will it be here before 6:30 am sunday ?

Tony
25-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Weather forecast is for broken cloud with a chance of a shower for Sunday, but there's plenty of time for that to be changed.

Dave, I have your cheque to return to you on the day, a road run pack can be purchased for a nominal fee at the event. Unfortunately there wasn't enough people pre-booked for the run to make posting the packs viable.

AyB, some thick plastic bags may be helpful :)

GNASHER
25-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks Tony,see you all sunday.

200bubs
25-08-2010, 10:47 PM

and stay off the log flume :lol2:

im am looking forward to this :) got my Dad and possibly my brother and a mate coming to

AyB
26-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Ha Ha :) I like your style..........Good thinking.............Now I will have to use my powers of persuasion............:yikes:

MG Mal
26-08-2010, 07:39 PM
It's going to be close to the wire decision wise but.............

Looks like we may well be attending in our 2003 TD5 130" Defender Double cab Pick up.

I find it very British too! :thumbs1:

Mal.

The Express Valeter
26-08-2010, 09:12 PM
We are staying in a place called Harrington nearby. If it's dry then we will be in the MG Montego but if wet the Freelander & will be on the ZR Forum stand.

Will bring a few bits to sell along posibly.

KelV6
27-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Sorry to sound negative, but with all this rain the past few days, does Wicksteed have good drainage? There is no chance they will close the park to cars parking? I've seen mention of other events on the local news being cancelled due to waterlogged areas.

200bubs
27-08-2010, 09:28 AM
not last year, but the year before was the same as its been this week and the park was fine

KelV6
27-08-2010, 10:06 AM
sounds good then.. :)

GT
27-08-2010, 10:22 AM
So long as everyone is sensible, we should be OK. The show is usually at the bottom of the slope, rather than the top, but we can probably move it upwards if it's a problem!

We're British, we won't let something like a little bit of water stop us ;)

I've just looked up weather on my phone app for the areas, says rain stops today, sunny with showers Saturday and sunshine on Sunday! :D

MG Mal
27-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Dont worry about muddy fields etc.

Landy will tow all! :happy1:

Mal.

KelV6
27-08-2010, 03:12 PM
So long as everyone is sensible, we should be OK. The show is usually at the bottom of the slope, rather than the top, but we can probably move it upwards if it's a problem!

Not in a fixed spot then?

MYCaptainChris
27-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Have fun all of you. I hope the weather holds.

Tony
27-08-2010, 08:52 PM
As mentioned above, we've had worse weather in previous years and the park has been fine. As long as people are sensible and treat wet grass like they are driving on ice there's no problems.

We'll assess any puddles or very wet spots on the day and try to avoid them.

GT
27-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Looks like I'm just a passenger for this one as the ZT's clutch just went!

mgbv8
27-08-2010, 09:48 PM
If its boggy it will be fun driving around the field on 12" slicks :rotfl:

Tony
27-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks like I'm just a passenger for this one as the ZT's clutch just went!

Ouch. you can tell us about it on Sunday.

The Express Valeter
27-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Perhaps I should bring the Freelander as I will be less than amused if I get mud all over the Montego.

KelV6
28-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Car washed/cleaned for Wicksteed Park tomorrow... missed F1 qually as a result :( Dark clouds now rolling in, I think the cleaning has been all in vain ... Poxy weather!

GNASHER
28-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Can't be arsed washing mine.160 (ish)miles to Wicksteed,no point.

AyB
28-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Just keep thinking SUN, SUN, SUN!!!!!

You never know.......it just might happen. :dancing:

KelV6
29-08-2010, 07:11 AM
we're up, its DRY, and the forecast is looking good... :D

Tony
29-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Slightly overcast here, but should brighten up in a couple of hours.

MG Mal
29-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Well we stuffed it again.

Late night , bad night, and a bad back this morning means I did'nt "rise" untill 8.15.

3 hr trip, ontop of getting the little man ready first, would mean we would'nt have got there untill after 2pm.

Maybe next year.

AyB
29-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Good day out guys. Even the weather was OK if a little cold and windy.
A great venue. Raffle prizes as well. That was a bonus.

As we had family and two young nephews with us the park attractions were of more interest to them than the rally!! I was therefore able to practice my go-kart skills. Unfortunatly they leave a lot to be desired!! :blush:

Well done for organizing a great day out. What a shame more people didn't attend.
:ukwave:

montego_turbo
29-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Well we stuffed it again.

Late night , bad night, and a bad back this morning means I did'nt "rise" untill 8.15.

3 hr trip, ontop of getting the little man ready first, would mean we would'nt have got there untill after 2pm.

Maybe next year.

you better go next year mal,we need 2xmg maestro aswell as we are getting out numbered:lol2: there is a camping plot there too:yikes:

montego_turbo
29-08-2010, 09:38 PM
i had a great time again and my 4 kids had fun at the park too,carnt wait till next year once again......:drink2:

Tony
29-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks to those that made the effort today. The turn out was low and the weather poor but I hope we still had some fun.

KelV6
29-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Well we stuffed it again. 3 hr trip, ontop of getting the little man ready first, would mean we would'nt have got there untill after 2pm.

Maybe next year.

a ZT rolled in after 2, just after the prize giving.. never found out hi excuse! :)

Ejoyed the day, some pics on my facebook profile, which I can add to the forum gallery if you want ?

Tony
30-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Some great pics over on FB Kelv. I'll set up a gallery on here.

KelV6
30-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Some great pics over on FB Kelv. I'll set up a gallery on here.

piccies uploaded.. just awaiting the tick of approval..
feel free to add a description to each image if u wish...

Tony
30-08-2010, 12:42 PM
All approved. Thanks Kelvin.

The Express Valeter
30-08-2010, 02:50 PM
a ZT rolled in after 2, just after the prize giving.. never found out hi excuse! :)

Ejoyed the day, some pics on my facebook profile, which I can add to the forum gallery if you want ?

Then after him came a ZS & a Caterham. :cry2:

KelV6
30-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Then after him came a ZS & a Caterham. :cry2:

yeah I thought I saw them... I was just leavin!!

mgbv8
30-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Was it a Caterham or a Morgan?? Front grille looked Morgan to me... But the Red and Yellow???? All I saw was ....Noddy :)
The colours did not suit the car !

Tony
30-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought it was a Morgan too. Quite a few people mentioned Noddy, maybe that's what the owner intended.

ZS
31-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Was it a Caterham or a Morgan?? Front grille looked Morgan to me... But the Red and Yellow???? All I saw was ....Noddy :)
The colours did not suit the car !

It was a Morgan, an Ex Race car at that, still in its racing colours... hence the noddy look :) - Was huffy's mate ;)

GT
31-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks to all who attended and braved the good and the bad weather, the afternoon turned out rather nice in the end! :thumbs1:

Thanks to 'ZS' as well for the lift after the ZT threw a wobbly!

Thanks also the the MG Zed Register, theMGzr and Steve's Cleenz for their keen attendance and contributions!

I think a further thanks to theMGzr crew for their incredible whip around and donation is due as well!

I'd also like to thank Kelvin and others who took some fabulous pictures of the day and the contest winners! :drink2:

Finally, I think it's also worth the thanks to Rich and his team for organizing the event again as well as to Tony and Dawn for their keen support and contributions, despite having stepped down! (Can't you guys keep away? :lol: )

I look forward to hearing the official feedback when it's available :D

GT
31-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Blimey, I'm starting to sound like I've won an Oscar :lol:

Tony
31-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I was thinking something similar while reading that post. lol

A HUGE thankyou must go to the MGZR crew for their donation.

KelV6
31-08-2010, 12:34 PM
We almost got in for a 1.... :)
Guy took the money on the gate and said something about the car boot sale, no I said, we're here for the car show... so he took our 6 quid and said follow the road round and ignore the guy parking up the cars for the boot sale..

Think I went to Wicksteed Park when I was a kid at primary school, in those days there was just conventional kids play area equipment.

Good venue I thought, well done to all those who helped to bring it all together.

KelV6
31-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I've added some comment to the pix.. please feel free to add more comments!

Some great raffle prizes BTW, a special congratulation to winners with ticket numbers 16 & 18..
I had ticket number 17 :D

The Express Valeter
31-08-2010, 02:06 PM
It was a good event & one that I have missed the last 2 or 3 years. It is such a shame that so many put all the effort in to making such an event & so few from all the forums turn up :wife:

Tony
31-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks Kelvin. Wicksteed has always impressed those that turn up as a venue for a car rally. The field remains useable after even the wetest of weather.

This is the first year we've been fenced in though and it prevented people who were just out for a day coming to have a look. I wonder if other events during the year have been a bit less disciplined when it comes to driving through the park requiring them to be more restrictive.

Andy, Thanks for the kind words. We feel the frustration of a poor turn out. Current thinking is to take a sabatical for 2011 and rethink the event for 2012 if there seems to be enough interest

Bringing many clubs and forums together on the same day is never going to be easy, but hopefully we can convince a few to have thier own events within the umbrella of the larger event.

mgbv8
31-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Maybe try to organise the next event alongside another event?

There are many big events at Santapod where an individual club can book in and get paddock passes so you have your own club stand in the race pits.

The most popular event is the retro cars show. But you dont have to have a retro car to have a club stand :)

One of the big club area's at this years how was all Ford Mondeo's from old to the last models !

Or maybe tag on to another british car clubs event?

Anyway!
Thanks to all you guys who put so much effort into organising, come rain or shine.

Regards
Perry

GT
31-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Would an event with 'live action' gather more interest?

It's a shame there is no real budget for the event each year, or we could probably encourage some of the old motorsport teams to come along.

I think the problem with tagging onto another large event is the entry fee, from 6 per car to 25 per head in some cases, is a massive increase?

I'm unfamiliar with the likes of Pod though :)

KelV6
31-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Entry at 6 was very reasonable, in fact I thought it was going to be 6 squid per person. If you attract more vehicles I would be tempted to ask Wicksteed to take count of cars coming in, and then pay back say 1 per to be given to the charity, this would be on top of the money raised via the Pride of Ownership entry the raffle..

Tony
31-08-2010, 08:44 PM
As much as I like that idea Wicksteed are themselves a registered charity so they are very unlikely to part with any cash. We have managed to get free ride wrist bands for the make-a-wish kids and thier families when we had them along for the day.

KelV6
31-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I did not know Wicksteed themselves were a charity..

The Express Valeter
01-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Maybe modify the title of the event to something like The 2011? British Car Enthusiasts/Owners Rally. Not sure if it would make any difference but perhaps to those who see it advertised who are non internet forum users & more general public may see that as a more open to all event???

Dates are also a pain to organise. BH weekend = maybe many were away for the last stint of the summer holiday. The following week = back to school & too tired etc. Then the clash of events!

Given that MG Saloon Day caters for all things Longbridge & Cowley perhaps organise an event with the MGM group as that event seems to have suffered recently too with attendance. I was only thinking on Sunday that Saloon Day seems to struggle to find venues & Wicksteed would be ideal.

Tony
01-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Tieing in with the MGM group saloon day could be an option if the two events were booked for the same date and venue. I wonder how many wouldn't realise it was a deliberate clash to allow them to attend both events and thought they'd have to choose one lol.

MYCaptainChris
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
The idea of combining with some car clubs could work a treat. Mini clubs are always up for a good show and the Mini still has a great following.

Tony
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
While writing the cheque last night I had a look back and added up the previous years. Since we started supporting Make-A-Wish, we have donated over 2600 to them.

Jerry Zedman
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Not bad for a 2p bit forum!!! Joke!!!! That is brilliant news. Well done to all for contributing to such a good cause.

mgbv8
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe it would be possible to arrange a meeting at another type of event. We recently had the national Hovercraft racing champs at Towcester race course.
There are national events for this type of racing held all over England throughout the year. And its a real spectacle. Its normally about 6-7 per car and there is lots to see. I'm sure the organisers would be happy to have a number of cars from all sorts of clubs turning up to add to the entertainment on site. It doesnt have to be car racing eh?
One thing I intend to do in the next 12 months is go to one of these Lawn Mower racing weekends. This would be a good type of diverse event to meet up at.
Just throwing a few thoughts into the mix.

Well done on the donations Tony. Even if it was only a fiver, the fact that you guys put yourselves out and devote your time to this cause is fantastic.

Regards
Perry

Tony
02-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Plenty of ideas to think over there. Hovercraft racing sounds like fun.

KelV6
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Hovercraft racing sounds like fun.

It'll never get off the ground http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/getmecoat.gif

LouZRBabe
03-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sure I can get theMGZR.co.uk imvolved in future events that maybe combined between clubs :)

GT
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
hahaha :lol:

Kelvin, your penchant for whimsical one liners is awesome :D

KelV6
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
hahaha :lol:

Kelvin, your penchant for whimsical one liners is awesome :D

Thanks, I guess I'm just naturally gifted :D

200bubs
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
sorry for the delay in replying but ive just got back off holiday as i went on the monday so been a busy weekend and week, even though not many turned up I still enjoyed the day along with my family, and i was quite glad of the rain as you could see the water beading off my car :music049: but where ever the next one will be i will be there again, and also a thanks for letting me have a stand there (My first ever trade stand sort of thing lol) :drink2:

once i have got through all the pics i will upload some into the gallery

Tony
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I now have our receipt back from Make-A-Wish.
(attached)

LouZRBabe
08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
They also sent me a e-mail saying thank you for theMGZR.co.uk donation. I will attach this to a pm and send it to everyone who donated from the site :)

Thanks Tony

Tony
09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm glad they did that, I had asked them to but wasn't sure if they actually had until now.

dan blyth
15-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Tony

long time, hope you're well. Looks like the forum is staying busy..! I was just wondering if any decisions have been taken about 2011 yet- I fully intend coming in my BRITISH Lambo Countach replica and can hopefully muster up a few similar.

Speak soon

dan

:ukwave:

Tony
16-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Dan, due to the low turn out this year it's been decided the event will take a sabatical for 2011 with a possible return in 2012.