PDA

View Full Version : Slave cylinder mounting bracket

ZSV6
25-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Had a Slave cylinder failure last week but this this time it was caused by a crack in the mounting bracket which flexed back and made the slave support split.
It was a easy job to change the bracket which costs about 8 and its held on by x3 14mm bolts and also a earth cable is attached.The piston is now straight as a dye and is something i should of picked up earlier on my weekly inspections.
part number if needed is uuu100860

Kev

Tootall
25-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Kev do you think the failure was down to wear/tear or due to the forces caused by the action of the salve cylinder.Will have to keep an eye on it.

blue harbour
25-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Kev!

Did the mounting fail which caused the slave cyl to fail then?- or was it just the mounting bracket that failed?

Am i thinking of the right bit too?- the piston thingymebob that sits on the g/box, and works works the clutch lever?????

ZSV6
25-10-2005, 09:12 PM
To be honest it could be just a fault in the metal or my agressive action on the clutch which caused this crack on the mounting bracket but once happened,the slave began to tilt a bit putting strain on it and leading to failure.I tried knocking it back with a hammer but over a short period of time it became distorted again.The piston on the slave should be straight as an arrow to the arm that comes out the gearbox.
Kev

blue harbour
25-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Comprende!

Cheers kev!:thumbs2:

davebreen
25-10-2005, 09:29 PM
wow that was quick ,,we only diagnosed it yesterday:thumbs1:
glad its sorted easily and CHEAPLY:rotfl:

ZSV6
25-10-2005, 09:50 PM
It looks like yours now dave.
The funny thing was when i walked in the parts department the geezer behind or poking over the top the counter was a dwarf and the first thing that went through my mind was the umpalumpa out of little britain :eek: ;)
He must of known what i was grinning at but produced the goods :D
Kev

davebreen
25-10-2005, 09:55 PM
im surprised they had that part in stock :drunk:

Wonder if other people have the same problem and thats whats causing the slave cylinder failures.
another zs 180 first,, fixed and reported here on the forum for honest folk.:drink2:

ZSV6
25-10-2005, 10:11 PM
The bloke in the parts department saturday mentioned having to replace brackets on lesser models but never the ZS180 but theres always a first.
That rubber gater on the piston is a sure sign its out of line though as its straight on mine now.
Kev

KelV6
26-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Brown and Gammons have a kit I belive that strenghens the mount/braket, it also improves the feel of the pedal.

180 Boy
26-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Kev

This all ties up with your problem at the last CC day, good call that man :thumbs1:

ZS
26-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Brown and Gammons have a kit I belive that strenghens the mount/braket, it also improves the feel of the pedal.

Interesting... can't find anything on their website?

blue harbour
26-10-2005, 04:58 PM

Hmm htis sounds interesting- if anyone chases this up- post up wgat you find out!

Could be a handy little pre-emptive mod if you haven't had a failure- or a more permanent cure for those that have!:flag1:

KelV6
26-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I think you have to ask about it, as they do the job in the workshop as I undertand it, which if I recall involves work on the bulkhead, from inside the car.

KelV6

speedfreak
26-10-2005, 05:15 PM
How easy is it to change the clutch master and slave cylinder ?
How do you bleed the system ?????

ZS
26-10-2005, 05:26 PM
How do you bleed the system ?????

Ahh an interesting question...

Would anyone like to put together a "how to" that we can put on this website to help others who need to replace a master or slave cylinder?

Thanks!!

Ralph
26-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I think you have to ask about it, as they do the job in the workshop as I undertand it, which if I recall involves work on the bulkhead, from inside the car.

KelV6

Are you sure its not for the master cylinder, as the slave cylinder is nowhere near the bulkhead?

KelV6
26-10-2005, 07:17 PM
As you may have gathered I only have a vague recognition about the mod.
Not sure exactly where read it/heard it, but it was defitatley a Brown and Gammons mod. I'll try and track down the info, it may well be on another forum.

KelV6
26-10-2005, 07:41 PM
The bulkhead mod, may have been a mod for the MGF, but an improved bracket was talked about and advertised because I had considered B&G to service my ZS and do the mod to the bracket at the same time.

KelV6

ZSV6
26-10-2005, 11:16 PM
"Originally Posted by speedfreak
How do you bleed the system ?????"

The master about 10 minutes and the slave 2 if you dont rush ;)
both are very easy and pre primed with fluid so know need to worry about bleeding,they are conected by a 2 way valve which seperates by pushing in a outer ring and pulling apart.
I'll do a how to when ive got time with photos.

Kev

Tony
27-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I'll do a how to when ive got time with photos.

Would be very much appreciated Kev.

blue harbour
27-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Hmm- please do kev!-im thinking of keeping some spares of these handy- just incase they do fail!-(seems a common occurence on the 180's unfortunatley!):(

Wonder how much MGR must have cost themselves in terms of warranty claims on these parts alone!!!!!!!????:confused:

Also wonder why some car's seem to chew through these parts- wereas other's seem to go for ten's of thousand's of miles without failure!:confused:

Tony
27-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Could be as simple as driving style, or type of roads driven on. Someone driving lots in towns will obviously make more use of the clutch than someone spending all their time on the motorways putting more strain on the components.

ZS
27-10-2005, 10:40 AM
My clutch slave cylinder fell off last night...

yup thats right it fell off its mounting point.

I put it back on and found the plastic clip to hold it in place, however I think it will fall off again soon (cylinder plastic mounting has cracked) so I think I need to replace it.... The clutch pedal is right down near the floor.

However I think that the damage to the clutch cylinder was caused by bad workmanship from the local dealer (not seaward).

Why is it my Rover/MG's are perfect untill they go in for a service at an authorised dealer???

ZS
27-10-2005, 11:16 AM
So if I go down to the dealers and purchase a new slave cylinder what steps do I need to do to replace it?

Its a 2 min job you say? if I can find instructions on how to replace it, or if someone can email me a copy of the manual (got the CD Rom anyone?) then I can do it in my lunch break!

Thanks!!

davebreen
27-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ive seen kev whip his cylinder out,,,,,,oooo er bum boy talk and coupled with talk of slaves is just disghusting,:puke1: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway it just unclips and then theres some kind of push joint further down the pipe that you undo ,and then just connect new one on and fit it back in the bracket,,,,you might need to bleed it a bit though in which case you need a helper.

Ralph
27-10-2005, 03:23 PM
The bulkhead mod, may have been a mod for the MGF,

Ah, that would be the brake servo support bracket.

speedfreak
27-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I need to change the clutch master cylinder as the clutch pedal is so high my left knee is about level with my ears. I'll probably change the slave cylinder and bracket as well. The bracket flexes when the pedal is depresssed.
My car has only 10,000 miles on the clock (on an 02 plate).

Ralph
27-10-2005, 06:28 PM
My car has only 10,000 miles on the clock (on an 02 plate).
My car has about 119,900 miles on an 02 plate. Would you like to take 50,000 miles off my hands, just to even things up a bit? :lol: :car2:

ZSV6
30-10-2005, 11:52 PM
"The bracket flexes when the pedal is depresssed."
I wouldn't worry about that too much as we checked the action of Daves slave and that flexed the mounting a little.
even though i put a new slave on the biting point was very low and bulked a little in gear so i took the master out and topped it up with fluid and did what i believed to be a bleed and its cured and back to normal.When i bought a slave from a MGR parts department once they told me that they should be both replaced even though only one had failed, my suspicious mind thought it was just a scam to get more money out of me but maybe he was right.I wonder if a MGR technician could throw some light on this?
Kev

ZS
31-10-2005, 11:56 AM
So any news on the FAQ ;)