Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate favourite car ( real world stuff ) !!

Ultimate favourite car ( real world stuff ) !!

Following on from some discussion on another thread, what are folks ultimate favourite real world car ? I say real world as it's all too easy to say a Ferrari this or a Lamborghini that. So favourite real world car and a brief explanation why ? I'll start.

Mines the BMW M3 - all 3 generations. Contraversial i know but i genuinly love the car. Having been priveladged enough to drive one a few times i can comment genuinly about it. Of all 3 generations my favourite has to be the E36 GT model. Only 50 were ever made. They have usable power that can keep up with the fastest cars in the world in a real world situation, they have a subtle 2 door styling yet remain a true 4 seater with a large, practical boot and have one of the best sounding engines ever. They are also relatively cheap to run and maintain compared with other cars of similar spec.

Now please, no flaming or digs. I've started this thread out of genuine interest to see what other folks favourites are, regardless of wether we like or agree about them !
    Just because i don't care doesn't mean i don't understand ! Homer J Simpson

VW Corrada Storm V6 (sp)

This car was well ahead of it's time and still looks absolutley fabulous now. I'd have one as a second car anyday and they held their value fantastically because of the desirability.

Good choice Debbie, and very true - they still look excellent !

impossible to limit it to one but out of all the cars ive had,my first r5 turbo was about the best bang per buck at the time,,,very very rapid.
    Track Junkie.

Blog Entries
    To be perfectly honest, I'd like something a little more unique...

Its probably all to easy for me to say an SV (money being no objection) but I quite have a hankering to build something myself as well, something to say 'I did that' with decent performance and a nice interior. As many know I'm a big 'retro' style car fan, so maybe a modified MG Metro or MGB GT with some more updated engines and bespoke interiors etc etc...

I have many other projects in mind though, including a front engined K2000 powered 4WD Streetwise Commerce, or a mid-engined, KV6 powered 4WD Z6R4.

Some would call me daft, stupid or maybe even blind and rose tinted at the thought of sticking with MG - but I still like the idea
    ModOct, the MG3 Website

www.brit-cars.com

Lancia Delta HF Integrale Kat, (Mistakenly often referred to as an Evo 3 but Lancia didn't call them that, Mitso****ty do that)

The balance and finesse in the chassis, brakes, steering and every part of driving the cars is just amazing. Engineering at its finest. The style is unique, unfussy and almost timeless. Few things can match the presence of an Integrale, (ZT is one)

Forget all the stories about poor reliability and rust, I have driven, sold, re sold and sold again literally 100's of these beasts and like anything properly maintained they are relatively cheap to run and very reliable.

Its not an easy car to master and the factory Group A cars are a real handful, but Lancia built the car to be the best at what it does, not to flatter a talentless driver or a point and squirt merchant.

Thats why it will always remain an icon of motoring, an orginal.

The name Integrale is generally assumed to mean "all" as in all wheel drive but the translation is not direct, it also means, pure, not diluted, raw, something more appropriate, it is a barely tamed monster.

Its worth remembering that in the World Rally Championship the Lancia Delta Integrale in all its variants from Delta HF4x4, Integrale (8v), Integrale (16v), HF Integrale it was never beaten in the manufacturers title, 6 straight titles from 87-92, thats what I call World Domination!

For me it would be Lotus. 1st choice would be a Europa Special (big valve engine and 5 speed box) otherwise an Elan Sprint.
    Signature is currently under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Matt
    Lancia Delta HF Integrale Kat, (Mistakenly often referred to as an Evo 3 but Lancia didn't call them that, Mitso****ty do that)

The balance and finesse in the chassis, brakes, steering and every part of driving the cars is just amazing. Engineering at its finest. The style is unique, unfussy and almost timeless. Few things can match the presence of an Integrale, (ZT is one)

Forget all the stories about poor reliability and rust, I have driven, sold, re sold and sold again literally 100's of these beasts and like anything properly maintained they are relatively cheap to run and very reliable.

Its not an easy car to master and the factory Group A cars are a real handful, but Lancia built the car to be the best at what it does, not to flatter a talentless driver or a point and squirt merchant.

Thats why it will always remain an icon of motoring, an orginal.

The name Integrale is generally assumed to mean "all" as in all wheel drive but the translation is not direct, it also means, pure, not diluted, raw, something more appropriate, it is a barely tamed monster.

Its worth remembering that in the World Rally Championship the Lancia Delta Integrale in all its variants from Delta HF4x4, Integrale (8v), Integrale (16v), HF Integrale it was never beaten in the manufacturers title, 6 straight titles from 87-92, thats what I call World Domination!
    Nice post. I have always loved these cars, but have never been in one as yet. There was one at my local garage, owned by the mechanic and he had just taken someone out for a spin and they were all standing round it in total awe of it.

My personal choice. . . . . . . . . . . . I am really not sure. I would love to go out in an E39 M5, which from the 530 I have driven, I would anticipate being a real tooll.

For the moment, I think it has to be an E46 M3 as an all round car . . . . . Peerless build, fantastic engine and handling, reasonable economy and mileage eating ability, excellent residuals, blah blah. A few reliability horror stories - especially relating to VANOS.

I have driven a Cerbera which took my breath away, would wipe the floor with the M3, but it was not a good enough all rounder, which is what I would look for in a car. I was hoping that a 260 would eat the M3, but from what I have heard, it is not polished enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jld
    For me it would be Lotus. 1st choice would be a Europa Special (big valve engine and 5 speed box) otherwise an Elan Sprint.
    I always wanted a Lotus and infact my Dad just before he died made Geoff promise to stop me spending my inheritance on one. I bought a Rover 214SI instead as my dad was MG and Rover through and through, I felt it befitting since it was technically his money I was spending.

Quote Originally Posted by DEBBIE
    VW Corrada Storm V6 (sp)

This car was well ahead of it's time and still looks absolutley fabulous now. I'd have one as a second car anyday and they held their value fantastically because of the desirability.
    Quality car. A defo classic. Don't see many around any more.

They didn't produce many and I think they stopped on a J or L reg but now they are like Rocking horse poop. Love the emerald kinda green it came in.

Classic green (250 made). Mystic Blue (250 made).

I seem to remember they received critical acclaim for their handling too. In fact, they used to get rave reviews at the time. Don't see many now. . . . . .

If I had the money I'd sure go for an MG SVR but being realistic I must admit...never sad other way ...I'd get a BMW M3...but that's it !!! so don't bang me on the head

I've driven my brother's BMW 540i and it pulls like mad...handling is something different as my ZS180 will put it into shame

Alex
    http://youtube.com/MG180ZS

- Rover Metro/114 GTi proud ex-pilot.
    - Gone but not forgotten and really missed MG ZS 180.
    - Sad Chevrolet Nubira SW 1.6 driver....won't be forever.

Debbie are we talking VW Corrado VR6 then ?....I had the VW Golf VR6 and the chasis was something you wouldn't like to have to deal with...suppose the Corrado was better...anyway the looks are still in shape

Alex

Mine would have to be a sapphire 4x4 cossie!!!!

I had a hankering for one for ages- loved the looks, and the on-boost performance!, and after driving my mates- it made me want one even more!

Granted there are downsides to these car's, such as monumental turbo lag- and a very dated lookin interior!, but the +'s for me- more than make up for this!

Oh- and my absolute fav(at the moment!) in a money no object world would probably be an aston martin DB9!!!!!!!- although there is a part of me that say's pagani zonda too!
    あらゆる呼吸の生命
    *Eveything is never quite enough!*
    *"I love mankind!"- "it's people i can't stand!!"

Thumbs up

Mine would be an original 427 AC Shelby Cobra. I just love the rounded curves and the brutal power.
    The Two Sixties - It's a V8 website thing......ZT400SE mk1 & R75 V6 ConnSE Auto Tourer

http://www.two-sixties.com

Ok then...can I have a lot of all the cars mentioned previously please ? ..I'd like to drive one each day of the week if possible !!!

Alex

Harbs, even the mention of a Sapphire Cosworth makes me want another one again ! Awesome cars despite the bad points you point out !

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mat C
    Harbs, even the mention of a Sapphire Cosworth makes me want another one again ! Awesome cars despite the bad points you point out !

I've never owned one myself, but like i say- having driven one made me like & respect em even more!

I know that there's a saying-"never meet your hero's - cos they're always a dissapointment!", but in the case of the cossie- nothing could be farther from the truth!

Mind you- same could be said for my zs180 too!- cos i really wanted one of those- ever since i 1st saw the original concept shot's etc!- and read about how good a drive they were etc etc!- i never actually thought i'd end up owning something i'd dreamed about having!- and never imagined it could be every bit as good as what i read that they were too! , but as fate would have it!- i now own/drive & enjoy one for myself!

But there is still that side of me that still desires a cossie too!
    あらゆる呼吸の生命
    *Eveything is never quite enough!*
    *"I love mankind!"- "it's people i can't stand!!"

for performance would love a caterham r500 evolution mad car total thrill
    for more everyday car would be Fiat coupe Le, fantastic looks goes like a train and cheap really for what it is.
    driven a few and standard ones are quick (quicker than M3 in gear), they are one of them underated cars like th Z180 a bit of a sleeper
    boring cars at mo but on the look out for some fun???

There are no inconsistencies in my posts; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts. ZS's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My fav car has to be the 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 (Eleanor)

When I get a spare 20k I'm going to buy one!

Other than that the ZS180 I've got fits most of the bill of my fav family car...

Classic & Modern
    I like raw, sporty, and a bit different, and one of my favourite cars was the one I inherited along with the girlfriend (now wife) which was her Datsun 180U SSS based on the East African Safari models with OHC twin Jap SU carbs and the right exhaust bark. This made all the right noises, handled brilliantly being rwd, and nobody paid it much attention because it was Japanese. In fact if only British cars of the 70s had had the reliability of these cars, BL/ARG/MG R might be in a very different situation today. Based on this, the one car I have always promised myself I would love to own is a Datsun 240/260z.
    Other than that, a Rover V8, maybe.

Noble M12 GTO or Lotus Elise (mk1) for me.

Mk1 Exige also.
    SOON TO BE VXR OWNER...MAYBE

NOT SUPPORTING VXR THOUGH

SUPPORTING IN 2009-
    - Team RAC

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B
    Debbie are we talking VW Corrado VR6 then ?....I had the VW Golf VR6 and the chasis was something you wouldn't like to have to deal with...suppose the Corrado was better...anyway the looks are still in shape

Alex
    Alex, one of my ex-girlfriends had a 3 door VR6 highline in mulberry. Handling was cack as you say.

I have been in a Corrado a long time ago and was impressed with the handling, don't know what the differences are but I know the Corrado uses the Golf of the times floorplan and lots of other bits. Suspension must be a lot different though.

Lots of interesting cars mentioned above, but not many that I would think of as being 'real world' or practicle. Lots of exotics which while capable of being used daily are hardly an everyday car (when was the last time you saw a Noble on the road?)

Still trying to decide what my ultimate everyday car would be. There's lots of very capable machines that are able to transport 4 adults plus a couple of cases.
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Thread Information